cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading firmware

matthogue
Level 1
Level 1

I have been upgrading the firmware on a few 1200 series APs and have come across a few issues. Out of three separate APs, one was a complete flop and now has no bootable files on it;, but that is another topic, one went smoothly and has been upgraded, and the third will not take the upgrade when done over the browser interface. (error: unable to locate file, or the file is invalid, but is the same file used for the one that worked)

I have attempted to load the image through the command prompt, using the info provided on this website at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080209250.html#wp1030793

The CLI instructions for using the ESC key have not made any difference, no matter how long I hold the ESC key, for a second, or for a minute. It still boots up regularly.

Here are the instructions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the CLI

Follow the steps below to reload the access point image using the CLI. When the access point begins to boot, you interrupt the boot process and use boot loader commands to load an image from a TFTP server to replace the image in the access point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Your access point configuration is not changed when using the CLI to reload the image file.

Step 1 Open the CLI using a Telnet session or a connection to the access point console port.

Step 2 Reboot the access point by removing power and reapplying power.

Step 3 Let the access point boot until it begins to inflate the image. When you see these lines on the CLI, press Esc:

Loading "flash:/c350-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010/c350-k9w7-mx.v122_13_ja.20031010"

...###########################################################################

################################################################################

################################################################################

####################

Step 4 When the ap: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the access point.

The ap: prompt never shows, it only showed yesterday when I regrettably removed the firmware from an AP; like I said, another topic.

Any help that can be given to me would be greatly appreciated.

The boot version for the AP that will not work with the CLI is 12.2(8)JA Early deployment lease software. (fc1)

Thanks again,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Matt,

Great job recovering the dead AP!! It seems to me from the description of the errors you encountered while trying to upgrade these 3 AP's , that this is strictly a problem with the TFTP Server function on your laptop. I'm not sure what you are using, but from what I know a very popular TFTP server is available from Solarwinds (free download) @

http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server/

The fact the the image file that you are using has now been fine twice indicates to me that it is not the problem.I also think that the process is fine, so that narrows it down.Let us know how you make out with this third AP.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Matt,

Great job recovering the dead AP!! It seems to me from the description of the errors you encountered while trying to upgrade these 3 AP's , that this is strictly a problem with the TFTP Server function on your laptop. I'm not sure what you are using, but from what I know a very popular TFTP server is available from Solarwinds (free download) @

http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server/

The fact the the image file that you are using has now been fine twice indicates to me that it is not the problem.I also think that the process is fine, so that narrows it down.Let us know how you make out with this third AP.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Thanks for your help.

I have begun upgrading the image file on new AP's using this method, and it has worked for the first couple. Is there a better standard method for upgrading the image without using the MODE button. Cuz I would like to start upgrading access points that are in production using the CLI or GUI.

With the new APs I have tried using the GUI and it states that the .tar file is invalid, 90% of the time, but it has worked on one device. So I guess I will just keep using the MODE button on the new local APs.

Thanks again,

Matt

I hope Idon't offend you Matt, but I would like to piggyback on this posting if you don't mind.

I'm having issues while trying to upgrade to 12.3(8)JA when pushing the image with our WLSE. My problem though is that the AP is taking the image, but in the process is wiping the config file. I'm having to push the image, then go reload the config I copied before starting the push. If I had only 4 or 5 APs to do, this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, I have 43 more to do in a very short amount of time. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong or give me some advice on how to avoid having to go reload images to each AP?

Any help will be appreciated very much.

Thanks,

Gregg

Dont worry at all about the piggy back. We are all in the business of support. I hope you were able to get your issues resolved. I am still just upgrading my APs by using the mode button and a -tar.default file. It's not the best situation, but since the APs are at my desk, it will work for now.

Matt

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was wondering more about this problem over the weekend and came across this note that expalins part of the problem (using the GUI to upgrade). Have a look;

Software upgrades fail when you use the web-browser interface to install Cisco IOS Release 12.3(8)JA2 on 1200 series access points. The image size exceeds the access point's 4-MB restriction for software upgrades. Use TFTP to upgrade your access point to this release. For complete instructions on using TFTP to upgrade access point software, see the "Working with Software Images" section in the Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points. Click this link to browse to that document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1100/accsspts/i1232ja/i1232sc/index.htm

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00806a61e6.html#wp17722

Hope this helps!

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card