Cisco Support Community
Community Member

using 1602 and 2602 access points together

I have a CT 2504 controller and I have connected 1602 access points to it. They created a 300mbps wireless network that works well. I am planning to enlarge the network by adding 5 2602 access points. The users that will be connect to the 2602 aps will use the network more so I am planning to use the 450 mbps speed that the 2602's can provide. However, is it possible for 1602's and 2602's to work together? I want some users to connect at 450 mbps and others at 300 mbps. If you say that it can be done, I will go ahead and order 5 2602 aps.

VIP Purple

These are theoratical max values & you can get it in test environments.Also these data rates depend on what client driver is supported, not only AP itself.

Also you need to understand wireless media is half-duplex & when one client use the media, others has to wait. So when you have multiple clients in your environment you will get  fraction of those speed most of the time.

You can definetely have 1602 & 2602 in the same environment with 2504 controller. But you can't guaranteed client througput rates as you expected

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I agree with Rasika.... these numbers are theoretical and I have never seen any of my current client connect at 450mbps... typically the highest would be 300mbps.

Also, what you need to consider is that the 1600's use CleanAir express and will not show up any info on the WLC.  Both have a gigabit Ethernet port, so you need to make sure you oversubscribe the AP properly or else achieving max throughput but oversubscribing the AP's gigabit port, will not help you.  So you need to figure out how many clients per AP you can handle.... 20-25 is the rule of thumb.

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The highest speed is 300 MBps rather than 450 MBps

802.11n radios give 300Mbps with 2x2 antennas, this is 2 transmit and 2 receive. They also utilise 2 spatial streams. The maths behind this is that each channel gives 75Mbps, 2 channels (2 x 20MHz channels = 40MHz) gives 150Mbps. 2 spatial thus gives 300Mbps. Note that each side needs the same setup to achieve these rates, this is critical

Cisco has a solution to the above in the 3600 AP. It has 4x4 radios and 3 spatial streams meaning that three can send and receive while the remaining is used for diversity to help achieve the reliable throughput needed. It's worth noting that this is custom silicon as well and only available to Cisco, at the time of writing anyway.

CreatePlease to create content