Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Using 2 WAP4400Ns on network and MacOS

Hello, I've been running 2 WAP4400Ns on the same network for a while now and not encountered any issues. Both are configured with the same SSID, security, etc. The only difference is the channel number is assinged manually (I'm using 1 and 6). The PCs seem to work fine and roam between APs. We've just started trying to integrate Macs into the network, and running into issues connecting to the wireless network. The 1st problem is that rather than just seeing a single network (e.g. My_N_Network) as would be the case on the PCs, the Macs see 2 networks with the same SSID. Any idea what could be causing this?

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

I know this was an issue back in the days when you had the same SSID on the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz, but never really heard anything when on one frequency band.  What MAC OS are you running and I'm guessing your drivers are up to date?  Does it cause you issues?  If your at a building with multiple access points, do you see multiple SSID's on your MacOS?  My macbook and air doesn't have that issue anywhere.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

>> I know this was an issue back in the days when you had the same SSID on the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz

The 4400Ns are 2.4GHz only. I do have a separate network in the 5GHz band based on a couple of netgear APs. The Macs only see one SSID for the 5GHz APs, so this issue is something specific to the 4400Ns (or 2.4GHz I guess).

>> What MAC OS are you running

A mix of 10.7 and 10.8, and it happens on multiple machines.

>> Does it cause you issues

Not sure. The Macs are having trouble connecting to the 2.4GHz network. They have to enter the network passphrase multiple times. One machine has not successfully connected at all. No idea if the repeated SSIDs is causing an issue or not, so figured I would start here. Its probably unrelated.

>>  If your at a building with multiple access points, do you see multiple SSID's on your MacOS

No - its only with this specific network / SSID.

Views
Helpful
Replies