Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 3560 8 port PoE to power up 1252 dual radio AP for b\g clients

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a couple of 3560 8 port PoE switches that we plan to use to power up 1252 APs (not ordered yet). Now since the 3560 switch will only support one radio, is it possible to order a pre installed dual radio 1252 AP, disable the 5 Ghz one and enable the 2.4 Ghz, so that b/g clients can access the network, until a PoE+ switch is purchased?

All help is appreciated

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct.  As standard G/A rates only require one tx/rx, there is no degradation in service.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Just to clarify my question, since this 3560 switch can supply power enough for only one radio, and if I choose to disable the 5Ghz one and keep the 2.4 Ghz radio enabled, does this configuration support wireless laptops with 802.11n cards only or 802.11b/g/n.

Are there any drawbacks of such a setup.

Thanks again.

Slight misconception here.  The 3560 will power the AP and both radios, so long as you are running 4.2.112.0 or higher on the WLC, or 12.4(10b)JDC or higher for an autonomous AP.  The caveat here, is you will run in a degraded state for N rates.

The below link describes the power to N rate relationship:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn421120.html#wp366903

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Stephen for the explanation.

Since I would be using autonomous APs, if the ios version is older than the one you mentioned, I would still be able to connect b/g/n clients using the 2.4 radio with no performance degradation. Right?

Thanks again

Correct.  As standard G/A rates only require one tx/rx, there is no degradation in service.

HTH,
Steve

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card