cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a single user name for RADIUS

acctech1836
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLAN with 5 1200 Series AP (A/G) configured for Fast Roaming using the Cisco supplied documentation. Can I use one user name for all of my devices to connect to the Internal Radius Server? This would be similar to having a passphrase for WPA. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

3 Replies 3

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris:

I understood you have autonoomus/standalone APs wiht WDS (Wireless Domain Server) configured for FSR. right?

You can use same username from multiple devices if your Radius does not prohipit more than one session per username.
Make sure that your RADIUS server allows multiple sessions for the user you want to use and it should work.

Note please that using same username with multuple users is not the same of using PSK (talking from security perspective). using 802.1x is usually more secure.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thank you for your reply. You understood my setup correctly. I have 4 of my AP's participating in a WDS. The WDS is another seperate AP (solely acting as WDS and not acting as an AP) which is also acting as the Local RADIUS server. I will check to see if the local RADIUS server on the AP will accept multiple logons. Thanks again!

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That would not be much secure from security perspective like you can't avail radius accountinf feature for tracking users or sessions. Also, you can not restrict access or use other features. If you don't have any considerartion for those features then you can use a common user,password for all your devices.

Regards,

Jatin

~Jatin
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card