cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UTP port on WLC4402

mvandorp
Level 1
Level 1

I've searched almost all CCO, but I cannot find the answer: Do I need a GBIC int the 4402, or can I use the 1Gbps Utility port?

I understand the service port is just for management, but I cannot find if I need a GBIC. I have an UTP-only network...

Thanks for any response,

Marcel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You need to use the SFP (smaller than GBIC, but does the same) port with either fiber or copper SFP modules. The 2 SFP ports on the 4402 are essential to connect the wireless to the wired infrastructure. The switch ports that you connect the SFP ports to will need to be in trunking mode and can be in etherchannel mode too if you use the lag feature on the controllers. If you do not use the lag feature on the controller, it is recommended that both ports connect to the same switch due to the way the network processing unit (npu)on the controller functions to tie the two ports together.

The Cisco 1000BASE-T SFP GLC-T SFP-GE-T3

1000BASE-T SFP Transceiver Module for Category 5 copper wire will work for your needs as long as some of the copper ports in your network can do gig-e.

The utility port has no customer defined use that I am aware of

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You need to use the SFP (smaller than GBIC, but does the same) port with either fiber or copper SFP modules. The 2 SFP ports on the 4402 are essential to connect the wireless to the wired infrastructure. The switch ports that you connect the SFP ports to will need to be in trunking mode and can be in etherchannel mode too if you use the lag feature on the controllers. If you do not use the lag feature on the controller, it is recommended that both ports connect to the same switch due to the way the network processing unit (npu)on the controller functions to tie the two ports together.

The Cisco 1000BASE-T SFP GLC-T SFP-GE-T3

1000BASE-T SFP Transceiver Module for Category 5 copper wire will work for your needs as long as some of the copper ports in your network can do gig-e.

The utility port has no customer defined use that I am aware of

I was afraid this was the case. The documentation is not clear at all about this.

Yes, I know about SFP GBICs.

Thanks for your input!

Marcel

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card