Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Virtual WLC on VMWare ESXi 4.0

Hi team,

I am currently trying to install a Virtual WLC (latest 7.5 release) on a VMWare ESXi 4.0, I am using the OVF template to deploy the image, but when booting the VM I am prompted with a "No operating system found" error.

Just to make sure there was no problem with the OVA file, I also downloaded the 7.4 release image, but I get the same error.

Note that I did the exact same procedure in our lab a few days ago, with the 7.5 image, BUT a ESXi 4.1, and it worked perfectly. Is there any incompatibility with ESXi 4.0? The deployment guide speaks of 4.x/5.x, but I am wondering if it was tested against 4.0 ... Unfortunately the 4.0 release is a customer deployment in production, we can´t change the VMWare version.

Are there any settings I could change on the VM to make this work?

I noticed the system creates a small ISO file (44Kb) when powering the VM on, but it disappears when powering off. Not sure if that´s the expected behavior.

Any guidelines on how to move forward would be appreciated!

Thanks

Javier

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Virtual WLC on VMWare ESXi 4.0

When you tested, did you actually use the same ova or did you download it again? I would check the MD5 on that just to be sure and then if that passes and the ova fails to install, then I would open a TAC case to verify that ESXi 4.0 is supported or what to see if anyone has loaded the vWLC on ESXi 4.0. I have not have any customers run that version so I wouldn't know.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

I tried both: using same ova and downloaded 3 different versions at Customer. No luck :-(

Thanks for responding anyway.

Javier

Okay... Just wanted to rule out issues with a corrupt image. Let us know if you find anything from TAC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Edit: posted twice

-Scott
Silver

Kindly following the link given for the ova file deployment 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12723/products_tech_note09186a0080bd2d04.shtml

as I agree that not all the ova files can be corrupted make sure you use the option of “deploy ova Template” in vshpere client

Kashif,

I did follow the guide, and deployed the file as an OVA Template.

I managed to sort this out by importing an ISO file that was created in my ESXi 4.1 lab, I was able to install the image on the 4.0 by using this ISO.

Thanks four your suggestions guys!

Javi

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content