Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual WLC Ports Confusion -or- ADDING ports to the vWLC

I am a struggling with configuring a virtual wireless controller (vWLC).

I am working with the newest vWLC, 8.0.100.0

I currently own an elderly 2504 WLC with 4 ports. (four physical interfaces on the box)

On this 2504, I use one port for the management of the WLC and for WLC to communicate with the APs.

The APs are on the same network as the 2504. The other port is the interface that all my wireless traffic from the clients use.

Now with this vWLC, the virtual machine has two network interface, but once I get to a point that I am able to login to the vWLC, I only see one 'port'. According to this posting, I am suppose to take the service port and point it too a dummy virtual switch or a 'Black Hole' https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12098556/vwlc-getting-started-key-points-and-common-issues.

Okay, I've done this and it works, but it not what I am accustomed to.

I enjoy having the web console of the WLC and the AP on separate networks from the wireless clients.

To complicate things my desire is for this new vWLC and my 2504 to work together.

I want over time to migrate APs from the 2504 to the vWLC without re-addressing them.

Can I add "ports" to my vWLC controller? Do I need to rethink my wireless infrastructure?

I am confused and am seeking your help, advice, suggestions, opinions and flames.

Bryan Smith

Butler, Indiana

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

I think you need to re-look

I think you need to re-look at your wireless design. I would prefer the 2504 over a vWLC, but that's me. I would not of separated the ports also on the WLC.  No real reason to, to be honest. Keep AP's on a seperate subnet and the traffic to and from the WLC is tunneled using capwap. Breaking up ports was an old design to be honest and that was also done back them with the 4400's. You have to also look at the pro's and con's of FlexConnect AP's vs local mode.  I never create an ap manager interface on the newer WLC's. I have always kept the dynamic ap manager in the managemt. Traffic is tunneled and you control user traffic when it leaves the WLC. 

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

I think you need to re-look

I think you need to re-look at your wireless design. I would prefer the 2504 over a vWLC, but that's me. I would not of separated the ports also on the WLC.  No real reason to, to be honest. Keep AP's on a seperate subnet and the traffic to and from the WLC is tunneled using capwap. Breaking up ports was an old design to be honest and that was also done back them with the 4400's. You have to also look at the pro's and con's of FlexConnect AP's vs local mode.  I never create an ap manager interface on the newer WLC's. I have always kept the dynamic ap manager in the managemt. Traffic is tunneled and you control user traffic when it leaves the WLC. 

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content