cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtualized WLC

Steve Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any information on the Wireless LAN controller been virtualized?  or the wireless on a box concept?

23 Replies 23

angvarga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Steve,

You cannot virtualize a WLC since it is not an application that can be installed in a Server. The Wireless Lan Controller is a physical unit.

Regards,

Angel V.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does anyone have any information on the Wireless LAN controller been virtualized?

I believe you were given the wrong information.

As what Angel has stated, WLC is a hardware-based systems and you cannot virtualize this, HOWEVER, the WCS and the newer Prime NCS can be virtualized.

And no, the WCS and/or NCS can control and configure WAPs as long as there is a WLC present.

I know that the current controllers are physical and cannot be virtualized.  I was in a webinar recently and they had mentioned that a virtual controller was on the roadmap for the cisco unified wireless architecture.  That is what im referring to.

The wireless in a box concept is really to have the NCS, ISE and controller software running in a virtual environment.

I was in a webinar recently and they had mentioned that a virtual controller was on the roadmap for the cisco unified wireless architecture. 

Never heard of this before.  I should be asking around.

I was in a webinar recently and they had mentioned that a virtual controller was on the roadmap for the cisco unified wireless architecture.  That is what im referring to.

Just had a chat with someone about this.  WLC 8500 is the name.  End of this year or early next year.

Thanks for the tip! 

I am also woundering about this, I am looking at buying a 2500 WLC for studying with, but if there is a vertual box that may be chaper that would be great.

There is no virtual WLC at the moment, you would need the 2504 right now.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rumor has it, its coming .. It was mentioned at Cisco Live.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Rumor has it, its coming

It's on it's way.  The WLC 8500 is aimed at "service providers".

Word has it that the WiSM-2 will get more WAPs count support but it is yet unclear whether or not this new WAP count is compatible with the Sup720 or Sup2T.

I thought the 8500 was an actual box and the VM WLC was somthing difffrent.

if thats the case i think i will just buy a 2504 WLC and 2 3500's for my lab.

It is an appliance. The vWLC probably will not come out for a while, so if you are looking for something soon, then the 2504 is what you should get. I run that with a mix of AP's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I thought the 8500 was an actual box and the VM WLC was somthing difffrent.

if thats the case i think i will just buy a 2504 WLC and 2 3500's for my lab.

I was made aware that it is a server and WLC is "virtualized".

However, having this for your home lab is an over-kill since the minimum number of WAPs supported will not be suitable for your use at home.

hello guys,

I am studying toward my CCNA Wireless and i would like to know how can i virtualize WLC in GNS3 or anythink you can think of please help.

I want to do some practises .

thank you

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

WLC 7.3 was just release, which supports vWLC and  the WLC 8500.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card