Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VLAN for Wireless network

Dear Team,

If wireless is setup in a corporate network and there is no requirement to provide guest access to outside users, is it still recommended to segregate the Wireless network? What are the advantages for segregating wireless network considering that wireless users will have complete access to corporate network. Kindly share your views if the total number of users in office is less than 50.

Reason is because, we do not have a Layer 3 switch, hence if VLAN is required for small number of users, we will have to enable it on the WAN router.

Would appreciate if you can share any documentation related to best practices. Thank you.

Regards,

Manoj

• Getting Started with Wireless
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: VLAN for Wireless network

It's best practice to separate wireless and wired data traffic. Now can you mix both, sure you can, but I always recommend to my clients that we keep things separated. Troubleshooting is another reason to separate the traffic along with maybe QoS. So it's really up to you but you have to consider the subnet size also. Adding new wireless to an existing wired subnet, and you may run out of DHCP address. I look at it as best practice.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
VIP Purple

Hi Manoj,

I agree with Scott,

If you have same subnet for wired & wireless, then devices like Laptops will get same network IP for wired & wireless, client devices may not like that & sometimes may not work.

It is always good idea to have two seperate network for wired & wireless. From scalability point of view having a L3 switch in your network is always beneficial

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Duplicate posts. 

Go here:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2262494

Views
Helpful
Replies