Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAP keeps using recovery image

Hi, i have 10 access point connected to PoE switch. 9 out of 10 wap are working ok. the 10th ap cannot get conencted to the WLC.

It get IP address, i can see it listed sh cdp neigh at the switch.

the switch is providing power to WAP

Tried to use different switch port with no luck.

Looks like the WAP is using recovery image.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

=======================================

POE_SW1#sh cdp neigh detail

-------------------------

Device ID: AP0022.bd1a.426b

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.72.190.22

Platform: cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9   ,  Capabilities:

Interface: FastEthernet0/10,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0

Holdtime : 152 sec

Version :

Cisco IOS Software, C1140 Software (C1140-RCVK9W8-M), Version 12.4(18a)JA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 21-Nov-08 01:28 by prod_rel_team

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 14.500 Watts

Power request id: 45951, Power management id: 0

Power request levels are:14500 0 0 0 0

Management address(es):

-------------------------

Device ID: PER-AP494b

Entry address(es):

IP address: 10.72.190.15

Platform: cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9   ,  Capabilities: Trans-Bridge

Interface: FastEthernet0/7,  Port ID (outgoing port): GigabitEthernet0

Holdtime : 175 sec

Version :

Cisco IOS Software, C1140 Software (C1140-K9W8-M), Version 12.4(21a)JHA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 11-Feb-10 12:19 by prod_rel_team

advertisement version: 2

Duplex: full

Power drawn: 15.400 Watts

Power request id: 50788, Power management id: 2

Power request levels are:15400 14500 0 0 0

Management address(es):

====================================================================

11 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: WAP keeps using recovery image

If your WLC is still not yet in production, upgrade to the 6.X IOS.  This version is alot better than the 5.X when it comes to AP looking for the WLC for the first time.

If you are running this version already, console into the AP and in enable mode run the following commands:

1.  clear lwapp private-config;
2.  clear lwapp ap controller ip address
3.  lwapp ap controller ip address

Thanks leolaohoo. I will try suggested steps.

I tried two WAPs already with same results, both APs are brand new, out of the box. Do you think this can be the case that two APs are not behave OK? I put them in different switch port with same results.

Hi,

I was just wondering if you found a solution for the above problem. I'm seeing the same thing.

3750 PoE sees ap with cdp neighbor and gets ip address but it looks like the ap won't get the the full 15.4watts of power and always pulls 14.5watts and never fully boots. Like endpoint mentioned, I have a couple other ap's on same switch that don't have a problem. I've swapped out the ap for another new one and still the same end result.

12.2(55) SE4 code on 3750G-24PS

Thanks,

Craig

what type of AP and what is the recovery code on the it?

Pulling less than 15.4w shouldn't matter until the AP is up and running, and I've seen the 1130/1240 pull 13.4w or so, and still work fine.

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Stephen,

Not sure what recovery code is on the 3502i ap as its brand new out of the box and has never been connected to the controller.

Craig

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Have you tried to swap the ap to the same port as one that is working. I have seen that also when we had bad cabling or a bad patch cord.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

I didn't try one of the currently working ap ports but I took the originally bad ap(brand new deployment) and a brand new ap into the wiring closet and plugged them directly into the original port and also tried 2 other ports on the same switch and same result.

Thanks,

Craig

I was able to get it running under different WLC. First i statically applied IP address to AP, then i moved to different WLC and for some reason it was working fine after even doug i did not change the actuall switch where this ap was connected to. So, i did not dig further...

thanks guys for all your help..

I was able to get it running under different WLC. First i statically applied IP address to AP, then moved to different WLC and for some reason it was working fine after even dough i did not change the actually switch where this ap was connected to. So, i did not dig further...

Hey All,

I have to hang my head in shame to some degree. I consoled into one of the ap's having this issue and noticed that it was failing the to resolve the cisco-capwap-controller dns entry. I entered in the command capwap ap controller ip address X.X.X.X and the ap booted.

The strange thing is that I have multiple ap's in the same address space that have worked flawless with this design.

Will keep an eye on it and note it in the forum if it keeps reocurring.

Thanks

Craig

Sorry for no reply for long time...

I was able to get it running under different WLC. First i statically applied IP address to AP incuding WLC IPand other info, then moved it to different WLC and for some reason it was working fine after even dough i did not change the actually switch where this ap was connected to. So, i did not dig further...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content