Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

wap121 with single point setup - forcing client to connect to 1 AP in particular

hi

i have setup a 4x wap121 with single point setup in a large house  (firmware 1.4.4 from Dec 20th) and it works really well

i have a problem with 1 apple TV which insists on randomly connecting to one of the wap121 devices which is in a different room and it causes the video streaming to stop working properly. (btw apple laptop iphone and other wifi devices do not try and connect to other AP when they are in that room so it is just this 1 device)

as soon as i turn the AP in the other room off the apple tv connects to the AP in the same room and it works fine again

is there a way to configure the apple TV to connect to a preferred wifi AP

i tried blocking it from the other AP's by listing its mac address but as it is single point setup it propogates to all other devices. I guess i could remove the AP in the other room from single point setup and do it that way but is there perhaps a CLI command i can run to suggest a preferred AP for a particular mac address (apple tv mac address)

many thanks

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: wap121 with single point setup - forcing client to connect t

Hi Rogier,

As per my knowledge, there is no way to force a wireless client to use a specific AP.

Normally NIC card of the client alwayes make the final decesion on whcih WAP to associate.

Still you Can try This:

1. Tweak the datarates on AP, typically disable the lowerrates on AP or lowering the TX power to reduce the coverage cell of each AP, by doing this the client maight be not able to see the other or far away AP as favourable.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Re: wap121 with single point setup - forcing client to connect t

i had not thought about disabling the lowerrates on the AP and have done that but it still went out looking for other AP.

in the end i disabled single point setup and blocked the AppleTV by entering its mac address on the mac filter (block) and moved the AP where it had better coverage (FirePlace was blocking most of the signal intermittently)

cheers

Views
Helpful
Replies