Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WDS and Roaming with 1130AG APs

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could provide me with some insight into a configuration scenario i'm facing:

Our office is situated in an old building and as such , wireless range is an issue as the walls are very thick and we have a mixture of clients from Laptops to android devices to iPhones that require access.

we have 2 goals (first 2 are more important)

1. to be able to roam anywhere in the building and pickup the wireless (fast roaming isn't really that necessary as voice isn't utilised)

2. to have only 1 SSID for corporate access - Corp VLAN

3. to have an SSID for guests to access - Guest VLAN

The VLANs aren't an issue, i have an 1130AG setup which already has 2 SSIDs which does what i need.

My main concern is around roaming, and i've read a lot about WDS, but this needs an external radius server, i've seen the articles that describe how to set up an AP as WDS and then add Infrastructure APs

I've also seen that you can simply configure each AP exactly the same, but with different channells.

I have 4 1130AGs at my disposal.

What would you guys suggest is my best solution?

Any help would be gratefully received.

11 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WDS and Roaming with 1130AG APs

To get the best roaming, you need to make sure you have enough coverage. That usually means a good site survey was performed to specify how many access points and the locations of the access point. Without this piece, there is no guarantee of roaming.

As far as WDS, you can setup an autonomous ap as a WDS server that is either dedicated as a WDS or is a WDS server and also serves clients.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

There is no mention of what security you plan to use.

Scott, correct me if I'm wrong but if a solution uses EAP then WDS adds value to roaming because of key management.

If you plan on using a psk security or even wep, WDS adds no real value.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

That is correct George. WDS is only relevant if you are doing 802.1x authentication as it caches the keys.

If you are doing PSK there is no value add

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

You guys are right. I was assuming again that 802.1x was being used since he mentioned WDS:)

-Scott

Thanks for all the replies guys

Based on this, is your suggestion just to set up access points with identical security settings then?

Thanks guys

You should always have the same ssid with the same encryption method if you want clients to be able to roam from one access point to another.

-Scott

Thats great. So should i just forget the idea of WDS , then?

If your not using 802.1x authentication and your using either open, weep or preshared key, then you don't have to worry about WDS.

-Scott

Thanks scott,

One last thing. Am I right in saying that each AP will need to be setup uisng a different channel for this to work?

You would want to try to seperate the channels for adjacent access points... For example in the US, you would use either channel 1, 6, or 11 on the 2.4ghz. 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Here is a good doc that shows how channels should be implemented:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bfed06.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content