Views
Helpful
Replies

WDS with Windows Radius Server

Ivaylo Georgiev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the process of configuring WDS. I am looking at this guide and it assumes that I am using Cisco ACS which is not the case here.

Let's say I have two APs: WDS-AP and Infrastructure-AP. The guide says that I need to create an account for the Infrastructure-AP on the Cisco ACS server. So, in the current scenario with using Windows NPS, do I create an account for the infrastructure AP on the WDS-AP? If yes, how do you do that?

If that's the case, you would only need to create a policy in NPS for the WDS-AP, not for the infrstructure APs, correct?

Thanks for you help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DB as in whichever DB you are using ACS, AD etc

When I was saying use the AP as local radius, it's purely for the infrastucture AP authenticaiton, not the client authenticaiton.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-350-series/68098-wds.html

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you need is to create an account in the DB for the WDS user.

You can also use the WDS AP as a local radius for the infrastucture authentiation

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

• when you say "create an account in the DB for the WDS user" what DB and what WDS user are you referring to?

• DB as of the DB of the WDS AP?

• WDS user - who is that? Is it the infrastructure AP? Or, is it the end user?

• when you say "You can also use the WDS AP as a local radius for the infrastucture authentiation" - are you referring to using local end user accounts instead of active directory accounts? if yes, that is not going to work for us because we actually are buying around 30 APs for a couple hundred users. That scenario from my post above was with only 2 APs for the sake of simplicity.

DB as in whichever DB you are using ACS, AD etc

When I was saying use the AP as local radius, it's purely for the infrastucture AP authenticaiton, not the client authenticaiton.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-350-series/68098-wds.html

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card