Views
Helpful
Replies

Web Auth Timers on Wireless Controller 6.0

s-daly
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have a couple wireless controllers running 6.0.202, one acting as an anchor, the other as a foreign controller, and I have a WLAN shared between them that uses web athentication. My question is, is there a web auth timeout command where it forces the user to log back in after so many minutes? If so, what is the default timer, and how do I change it?

Also, would I need to adjust this timer on both the anchor and foreign controllers, or the just the anchor?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

There are 2 timers that often come up for discussion.

1) Session timeout - This is specific to WLAN and by default is 1800 seconds (30 minutes). Once a client authenticates every 30 minutes they will be sent a deauth from the WLC. The main reason is to rekey your PMK and GMK. A guest will get the login screen every 30minutes as well.

2) User idle time out - This is set to 300 seconds (5 minutes). If the WLC doesnt see the traffic from the client in 5 minutes it deletes the client. Thus causing the guest to get the screen. This is a global change.

Any changes you do on the anchor controller wlan you need to make sure it matches on the foreign controllers.

Does that help?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

The session timeout is specified via the advanced tab on each of the WLANs that you create on the WLC.

User idle timeout is under the Controller tab of the GUI.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

There are 2 timers that often come up for discussion.

1) Session timeout - This is specific to WLAN and by default is 1800 seconds (30 minutes). Once a client authenticates every 30 minutes they will be sent a deauth from the WLC. The main reason is to rekey your PMK and GMK. A guest will get the login screen every 30minutes as well.

2) User idle time out - This is set to 300 seconds (5 minutes). If the WLC doesnt see the traffic from the client in 5 minutes it deletes the client. Thus causing the guest to get the screen. This is a global change.

Any changes you do on the anchor controller wlan you need to make sure it matches on the foreign controllers.

Does that help?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes it does, thanks! However, I do have one more question: what are the actual commands to modify these timers?

The session timeout is specified via the advanced tab on each of the WLANs that you create on the WLC.

User idle timeout is under the Controller tab of the GUI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: