Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web authentication & Roaming.

Dear Experts,

Greetings!

I have 1x 2500 controller & 15  CAP1602I APs.

2 SSID is broadcasting, 1 for employee, 1 for guest.

employee is using 802.1x bases on EAP, guest is using web authentication bases on local users.

I have 2 questions:

1.   if a user moves from meeting room to pantry, the client's AP association moves from AP1 to AP2 ( same VLAN and IP subnet).

Is that a kind of roaming?

2. currently, my all 15 APs are in the same group: 'default-group'. the users who use guest ssid complain the wifi often disconnects.

Should I configure roaming for web authentication?

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Web authentication & Roaming.

Since you have one WLC and all AP's connected to that WLC, roaming shouldn't be an issue at all.

1. if a user moves from meeting room to pantry, the client's AP association moves from AP1 to AP2 ( same VLAN and IP subnet).

>that is roaming

2. currently, my all 15 APs are in the same group: 'default-group'. the users who use guest ssid complain the wifi often disconnects.

>roaming happens no matter if you use the default group or not. Clients should be able to roam from one ap to another with non issues. Now this is as long as you have adequate coverage.

Post your show WLAN of the SSID's that your having issues with.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Cisco Employee

1.   if a user moves from meeting room to pantry, the client's AP association moves from AP1 to AP2 ( same VLAN and IP subnet).

Ans. Yes it is only known as roaming as the same ssid is broadcasted on all the AP and the client is getting associated and disassociated between these AP which is broadcasting this ssid.

2. currently, my all 15 APs are in the same group: 'default-group'.  the users who use guest ssid complain the wifi often disconnects.

Ans:- No special roaming configuration is available for web authentication. as the client is moving properly between all the AP's doing web authenticaton with the same guest ssid.

Is there some time limit configured for web auth.. after which these clients are getting disconnected..?

Got it.

Appreciate your help.

I change the idle-timeout on guest ssid fro 5 minutes to 8 hours.

I am not sure if that is the reason.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Web authentication & Roaming.

Idle timeout affect apple devices more than any other device. When an iPad or iPhone goes to sleep, the idle timer starts counting down and when the timer expires, the client is removed from the WLC and this is required to login again. This is different from roaming. If your client is connected and moves around the building, the client will not trigger the idle timer. With WebAuth, I would increase the session timer to 8 hours and set the idle timer to 2-4 hours.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content