Views
Helpful
Replies

Webauth page on WLC 5508

Mohammad Tbaili
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I need to download a login banner page on our WLC 5508 version 7.4.100.60  but i am getting error and the logs is showing the following :

*TransferTask: Sep 11 11:05:04.248: #CLIWEB-3-BUFFER_TOO_LONG: cli_web_api.c:3240 Buffer for Login Banner too long (max = 1296 chars).

My FTP is working fine since i have upgraded the version using it and the .tar file which i am trying to upload is 50K  can any body help on this please

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These are two separate things. One is a webauth which is a tar file. The login banner is a txt file and both need to uploaded separately. The login banner shows up on the top of the login when you try to access the WLC from the GUI and it also shows up when you try to access the WLC via telnet,ssh or console.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mohammad,

Typically, login banners are .txt files.  Please ensure the file that you are uploading is a .txt and not a .tar.

If you are unsuccessful in uploading the file through the Web GUI, might I suggest that you try it through CLI?  Sometimes transfers just seem to work better through CLI.

Just in case you have any questions on the CLI transfer, I have this link for your reference:

www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mfw.html#wp1132285

This is the Configuration Guide for the WLC.

Please let me know if this fixes your issue.  If it does, please rate this answer and mark your question as Answered.

Charles Moreton

Hi Charles ,

I tried to use .txt file from CLI and i am getting the same issue . The strange thing is that on our old controllers(44xx) the file that was uploaded is .tar file and the banner is working perfectly . I attached the .tar & .txt file that i have to upload . My question is how can .txt file work , what about the logo and these stuff ?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These are two separate things. One is a webauth which is a tar file. The login banner is a txt file and both need to uploaded separately. The login banner shows up on the top of the login when you try to access the WLC from the GUI and it also shows up when you try to access the WLC via telnet,ssh or console.

-Scott

Hi Scott ,

you are right it was a mistake from me , actually i am trying to upload tar file for webauth and not login banner . When i am trying to do this i am getting the upper error in the logs . I tried tftp and ftp and both of them is giving me that the file is too big .

The file needs to be less than 1mb so what I would do is reduce your image to a lower resolution.

-Scott

Hi Scott ,

This is the file .tar i am trying to upload , i cant find that my image is more than 1 mb  !!!           

Hi Scott ,

Things are fine now it was a mistake from me , i was using the .tar file  to upload a login banner to the controller . Actually what i need was the webauth so when i chose the webauth bundle option on the controller everything work fine . 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card