Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best to upgrade both Primary and Backup Image and FUS?

Hi, I am planning to upgrade both primary and backup images and FUS on a pair of WLC5508 (not 1:1 Active-Standby HA pair).

One thing I am not sure is if and when the backup image upgrade should happen.

Currently WLC are running 7.2.110.0 code and I would like to upgrade it to 7.4.121.0 as primary and 7.4.110.0 as backup.

Let’s ignore the configuration back and failover steps, roughly the plan is the following:

• •1.     Upload 7.4.1.121.0 to WLC
  • •2.     AP Image Pre-download
  • •3.     Reboot WLC
  • •4.     Upload FUS 1.7.0.0 to WLC
  • •5.     Reboot WLC

So, my first question is, if it’s better to leave the backup image as 7.2.110.0 code? Or upgrade it to 7.4.110.0?

Second question, if the backup image is better to be upgraded to 7.4.110.0, when should it happen? I assume it requires a reboot. Not sure how this backup image upgrade works with AP Image Pre-download. I am thinking it should be similar with the primary image upgrade. That means all the APs will need two reboots to finish the primary and backup image upgrades. Is it correct?

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Cedar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: What's the best to upgrade both Primary and Backup Image and

The process you have is correct. The backup image doesn't need to be uploaded unless you plan on reverting to that image in the future. If you upload v7.4.110.0 after the code and FUS, then you need to make sure you define the Config Boot to boot on v7.4.121.0. The last image you load is usually the one that will be the default boot and you just need to make sure you define that. You don't want to reboot the WLC and it boots up on v7.4.110.0.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: What's the best to upgrade both Primary and Backup Image and

The process you have is correct. The backup image doesn't need to be uploaded unless you plan on reverting to that image in the future. If you upload v7.4.110.0 after the code and FUS, then you need to make sure you define the Config Boot to boot on v7.4.121.0. The last image you load is usually the one that will be the default boot and you just need to make sure you define that. You don't want to reboot the WLC and it boots up on v7.4.110.0.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What's the best to upgrade both Primary and Backup Image and FUS

Thanks Scott for the reply.

Ideally I want both 7.4 codes on production because there are some new features 7.2 code does not have, such as HA-SKU for N+1. Later on, we will add more controllers and might use HA-SKU licence on backup controllers. It would break some features if the controllers rebooted back to the 7.2 code. However, even I believe 7.4.110.0 is very stable, just to be very cautious, I want to revert to an proven working version code in my production, 7.2 code. Not sure if I am being too cautions.

And I did think the same way as you mentioned about the upgrade to 7.4.110.0 after 7.4.121.0 and FUS upgrades are done. And I agreed that need to pay attention to the boot image config. But it looks to me that it would need to go through the AP Image Pre-download process again for all the APs to set 7.4.110.0 as the backup image, which would require controller reboot. Is it correct? Or if there is any way can combine the AP Image Pre-download processes of primary and backup images into one?

Thanks

Cedar

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content