Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Which Aironet 1252 radio module(s)

I was going to use an Aironet 1252 access point to set up a wireless network and was wondering which radio module (or modules) to get. I have no need for backwards compatibility, so it seems that for best performance I should go with a pure 802.11n network. In order to achieve that goal, is one radio module sufficient? And which band would be best? Or is there any advantage (or disadvantage to getting both the 2.4 GHz radio module (AIR-RM1252G-A-K9) and the 5 GHz one (AIR-RM1252A-A-K9)?

Any and all suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Oh, and if you need any other information about my setup please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Paul

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Which Aironet 1252 radio module(s)

802.11g and 802.11N is backwards compatible no matter what. The advantage with both radio's might be that some users only can connect to the 2.4ghz, 5GHz less interference, but if you want to use 802.11n, and have more than one 1252, then you will want to have the 5GHz radio. Your card must be able to work on the 5ghz side... even though it say's 802.11N, doesn't mean its a dual radio. I would get the 1252 with both radios... but that is just my opinion.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

fella5 is right. You've just mentioned the need for backward compatibility therefore both A/B/G modules is OK.

Are you going to be using a Wireles LAN Controller (WLC)?

The reason why I'm asking is because the 1252 AP, in order to get both RM to work, you need at least 19.0 watts of power. This can only be achieved using either a enhanced PoE switch (such as the 3560-E/3750-E) or a power injector.

The latest code of the WLC (firmware 5.2) will upgrade the AVR of both the radio modules of the 1250 to be able to operate at 15.4 watts of power. Here's the catch though: The new WLC code will allow the 1252 to operate both radios BUT the power output (or signal strength) is curtailed.

However, do you look the 1140 series AP. This model will operate at 15.4 watts of power, full signal strength but the range is not as far as the 1250.

The 1140 (like it's other brother, 1130) was designed for office use: lots of walls, partitions and corners. The 1250 is designed for industrial use: wide-open space, environmental protection (thus the armoured-tank look-feel-weight).

Hope this helps.

No, I wasn't going to be using a WLC. I planned on using the Cisco AP1250 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-SPLY1) -- and though I couldn't find its specs I'm assuming it supplies an adequate amount of power.

I hadn't looked into the 1140 ... but I will, since the building I'm looking at installing it in is not that wide open (i.e., it has lots of walls and corners).

Thanks for your help!

p.s., Just to clarify, I actually do NOT need backwards compatibility.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

No problems. My apologies for misreading the need of backward compatibility.

No big deal ... I just threw in the clarification in case someone else was reading this thread and thought I needed backwards compatibility.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Paul

In my original message I left something out ... I needed the AP to be standalone/autonomous; and I just ran across a Cisco document, "Cisco Aironet 1140 Series and 1250 Series Access Point":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/prod_qas0900aecd806b7c82_ps10092_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

that states that the 1140 Series is not currently available in a standalone/autonomous version ... though they claim a such a version will be available sometime this year.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Unfortunately, this is true. 1140 is only available for LWAPP for the time being.

The Autonomous IOS version should be available soon, I hope.

Back to the debate between 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz.

It is important to keep range in mind when talking about RF frequencies. As frequency increases, range decreases.

So while the 2.4 Ghz radio does not have the throughput that the 5 Ghz radio does..it has a further range.

The 5 Ghz radio, on the other hand, has great throughput, but a shorter range.

This is why we opted for the dual-band 1252 AP so that each client could use one or the other.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content