cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi advice

tanzeus129
Level 1
Level 1

I need to setup a wireless network for a SOHO.

The solution MUST BE ROBUST, as it is mission critical that Wireless connectivity is operational.

Right now, they have a Nortel BSR222 (router/firewall/DHCP server), 2 Apple Airports, a slingbox, a HP printer, 3 MAC's, 4 iPads, 3 iPhones.

The wireless network is not stable, and it is causing them a lot of grief.

I want to design a new network that will not fail.

Can anyone help me choose some hardware for a proposal with mostly Cisco devices?

I think I need a minimum of 2 AP's to make sure we cover the whole building.

What kind of controller would you use? Do I even need one?  Do I need to change the Nortel BSR222 ( I am not sure if this does 802.1q)?

Can I get 2 Aironets and configure them to work together with one SSID?

What about a Cisco 8xx W router and 1 Aironet?

Thanks@@@ advance

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to design a new network that will not fail.

Nothing in life is perfect.

Can I get 2 Aironets and configure them to work together with one SSID?

Yes.

What about a Cisco 8xx W router and 1 Aironet?

It'll "work" if you don't know what you are doing.  Just what are you trying to achieve?  Your description is very, ahem, vague.  Describe your physical location:

1.  How big is the coverage you want to use?

2.  What neighbor WiFi is available?

3.  Do you want 802.11n?

4.  What is your work area?  Is it an open space?  Do you have metal walls/filing cabinets/compactors around?

5.  How are you planning to power up your AP?

6.  How are you planning to install the AP?

7.  What type of traffic are you trying to push over wireless?  Plain data?  Voice?  Video? 

yes. I should have reworded it.

does not fail every 5 minutes.......

All the wireless networks I have ever set up have use a controller.

But can a 861w control a Aironet 1040?

1.  How big is the coverage you want to use?

it is a 100 year old mansion

3 floors

2.  What neighbor WiFi is available?

There are a few home neighbor networks

3.  Do you want 802.11n?

Yed

4.  What is your work area?  Is it an open space?  Do you have metal walls/filing cabinets/compactors around?

rooms. no metal walls or cabinets

5.  How are you planning to power up your AP?

AC

6.  How are you planning to install the AP?

Depends which one we get

7.  What type of traffic are you trying to push over wireless?  Plain data?  Voice?  Video?

data & video (slingbox)

no voice (yet)

thx

Freak me!  100 year old mansion?  Gee whiz!  You got one huge obstacle.  It's called the WALL!  Those walls are sooo dense they eat wireless signal.  You need to think about putting an AP in every room you want coverage.  The wireless signal will not be able to get through the concrete walls.

The 861W cannot control a 1040.  Where are you planning to put the 861W?  Is it in the midst of your wireless coverage?

How high is the ceiling?

think we now all know why their wifi is flakey!

Ideally you need to do a proper site survey to see how the signal strength is as you move around.

Would definitely look at the frequency blocks for greater penetration vs power and overlapping channels..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

First, what is your budget. This will drive your design I'm sure. 3 floor old mansion I bet you will need more than 2 aps. I live in a 4,000 sq foot home and I have 3 aps for my voice grade network.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card