Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Employee

Wifi client disconnecting from 887VA-W Router

Hi

I have several pc's, macs and smartphones all connecting happily to the embedded AP (AP802) of an 877va-w router, apart from one pc (Samsung Ativ Book 9 lite) which keeps disconnecting and re-connecting every few minutes. The ssid is configured for WPA2 with AES and it makes no difference whether the ssid is in guest mode or not. The AP is configured for 3 ssid's and the disconnects happen on any ssid the pc joins. The pc's wireless adapter is a Qualcom Atheros AR956x with the latest driver available. I've disabled any power saving mode on the client adapter and ensured it's running on max power when running on battery. The same problem happens if I join the pc via wifi to an 877W router, but not if I connect to a BT Hub2-Wire adsl wifi router.

Can some advise what I might need to configure on the Cisco AP to ensure the Qualcom Atheros AR956x client stays connected. The logs just state that the Station has left the BSS.

TIA, Tim

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Every client is different....

Every client is different.... thus you always have to make exceptions for the poorest client out there.  This has been the issue with Apple devices in the network for years.  This is why you always test with an open ssid first to eliminate client issue, then you configure wpa2/aes psk with basic setting... little by little you add onto it until it breaks.  Just because this works now, doesn't mean that when a new device get onto the network a year later, that your configuration will not change to support that device.  

This is like the session timer on the WLC... many devices don't like the session timer to be short and typically being disabled and set for 24 hours fixes many issues.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
7 REPLIES

Try to connect to an open

Try to connect to an open SSID on the 877 and tell us if the device keep dropping or not.  Can just be something on the SSID setting then.  Try to eliminate other possibilities, this helps us in troubleshooting, understanding what works and doesn't.

Scott

-Scott
Cisco Employee

Scott, thanks for

Scott, thanks for responding

this is the config for one of the SSID's (other SSIDs configured the same) that just the one client has a problem staying permanently connected to. I'm not sure what to change, can you advise? Thanks, Tim

dot11 ssid test
   vlan 3
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa
   wpa-psk ascii password

interface Dot11Radio0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 !
 encryption vlan 3 mode ciphers aes-ccm
 !     
 broadcast-key vlan 3 change 30
 !
 ssid test
 !
 antenna gain 0
 speed  basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 basic-11.0 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
 station-role root
!
interface Dot11Radio0.3
 encapsulation dot1Q 3
 no ip route-cache
 bridge-group 3
 bridge-group 3 subscriber-loop-control
 bridge-group 3 spanning-disabled
 bridge-group 3 block-unknown-source
 no bridge-group 3 source-learning
 no bridge-group 3 unicast-flooding
!

Well it looks like WPA/AES,

Well it looks like WPA/AES, in which you should be using WPA2/AES

dot11 ssid test

vlan 3
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   wpa-psk ascii password

You should try an open ssid to confirm that the device can connect fine also.

Scott

-Scott
Cisco Employee

ScottI found the problem. The

Scott

I found the problem. The Samsung pc with Qualcom Atheros AR956x doesn't like the following :

broadcast-key vlan 3 change 30

this is causing it to drop out every 30 seconds and re-connect. It's odd because other clients don't have an issue with it. I can set the key change to a much larger value or remove it altogether.

Regs, Tim

Every client is different....

Every client is different.... thus you always have to make exceptions for the poorest client out there.  This has been the issue with Apple devices in the network for years.  This is why you always test with an open ssid first to eliminate client issue, then you configure wpa2/aes psk with basic setting... little by little you add onto it until it breaks.  Just because this works now, doesn't mean that when a new device get onto the network a year later, that your configuration will not change to support that device.  

This is like the session timer on the WLC... many devices don't like the session timer to be short and typically being disabled and set for 24 hours fixes many issues.

Scott

-Scott
Cisco Employee

Thanks Scottappreciate all

Thanks Scott

appreciate all your help

Tim

No problem... I encounter

No problem... I encounter this every year with my clients... especially when the directors brings in a new toy and it doesn't work, but "IT WORKS FROM HOME":)

Just another day in the life of a wifi guy!

Scott

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies