Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi clients not getting IP addresses

Hello Experts,

I have a Cisco 1140 AP, and using express setup I have cnofigured a IP address to it. This AP is connected to our public network and is configured with a public ip address. We want the guest users to connect to Wifi and gain access to Internet.

While the users connect to Wifi, I find their laptops getting IP address in series 169.x.x.x due to which they are unable to get to internet.

Can somebody guide to what all configuration required so that laptops would get ip address?

Thanks

Arvind

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there can you post your ap config and a brief comment on your design.

Also, what DHCP server are you using for your clients and do you have IP helpers set up ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

you did not configure your access on public IP address first u terminate your link on router create dhcp server on the router for your client to get the Ip address.

---

Posted by WebUser Anshul Rohilla

Hello George,

I do not have any DHCP server, I want the AP to allocate IP addresses to wifi clients.

Anshul,

Is there any way the AP distribute the IP addresses? I want to have the AP act as an DHCP server and allocate IP address of wifi clients.

If this is not possible in this AP model 1142N, any other Cisco AP model available, which can act as DHCP server?

My requirement basically is:

The AP should allocate IP in the range 192.168.x.x and I would connect the AP to the public network. The wifi clients should be able to get to Internet.

Please suggest any other model in Cisco which should meet my requirement.

Thanks

Arvind

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The AP can act as a dhcp server so long as you have configured the scope in the subnet the BVI is in. If the clients are going to get an address not in the BVI subnet, then you would need to put an ip helper on the gateway pouring at the APs address

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card