Helpful
Replies

Wifi for 2 houses separated by 270 meters

overlook1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

[sorry for my englsih]

We need to have a Wifi access between 2 houses separated by 270 meters.

We think to buy an Aironet 1240AG (AIR-LAP1242AG-E-K9) access point but we don't know which antenna to choose.

I can install the antenna on the roof of my house and access point inside house.

In France we are limited at 100mW (20dbm)

Question 1:

Is it possible that Wifi do that ?

Question 2:

Does the signal will be correct (minimum 11~15 Mbps) in the second house using an usb wifi key receptor or a wifi network card with antenna receptor ? This connection will be used only for Internet access.

Question 3:

Which antenna choose for my roof ?

Question 4:

If I buy an antenna today, will I do to change it for the next generation of Wifi 802.11n ?

You can see a photo of the 2 houses.

Thanks your for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would have to agree.

You would be basically setting up a point-to-point bridge between the houses, which be the most feasible solution in your case.

the laptop radio & antenna may or may not be able to see the signal given the fact that it will be a narrow beam (compared to the typical omnidirectional antennae), but it would have a hell of time sending the return signal - if it even has a 802.11a radio! (assuming you went with your A radios on the APs

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have line of sight between the 2 houses?

are there any obstacles in the way? Hard to tell from the picture.

Also, are there any other wifi signals in use?

You have 802.11a available based on your APs, it may be a better choice if there is a lot of 2.4 GHz signal in the area as well.

here is a link for the cisco antennas

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

Something like the AIR-ANT58G10SSA-N is rated for 8 miles, but you will need N to rp-tng adapters for your APs. Also, if you plan on mounting the antennas outside, you should invest in some lightening suppression for the antenna.

given the power restriction, the cable length, the suppressor, the converter and finally the antenna, you can calculate the signal.

Yes, it is possible to do it, but there are many factors that will affect performance.

Yes, you will definitely have to buy a new antenna AND radio for 802.11n. There may be a radio module available for the 1240 down the road for all we know.

Thanks for you reply,

>>Do you have line of sight between the 2 houses?

Yes but only when i am on the roof of my house.

>>are there any obstacles in the way? Hard to tell from the picture ?

No obstacle but one or two trees.

>>Also, are there any other wifi signals in use?

Yes there are lot of ap's in activity on 2,4 ghz band.

On another forum, someone told me that it will be not possible to do that just with an AP in the first house and a laptop in 2nd house to receive. He said that i must use 2 AP's (one in each house)...

So what do you think about that ? Do i realy need 2 ap's or i buy 1 AP + 1 antenna ?

Many thanks for your help

I would have to agree.

You would be basically setting up a point-to-point bridge between the houses, which be the most feasible solution in your case.

the laptop radio & antenna may or may not be able to see the signal given the fact that it will be a narrow beam (compared to the typical omnidirectional antennae), but it would have a hell of time sending the return signal - if it even has a 802.11a radio! (assuming you went with your A radios on the APs

Ok i see and i understand what you mean. Now, i know what we need ;) 2 AP's to ensure successful connection !

Thank you very much for your advise ;)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card