cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi Noob

chrisgerke
Level 1
Level 1

Just getting started with WiFi, could someone please let me know the affects of having a wrong ip name-server defined? Apart from not being able to ping a host name on the cli does it affect connected clients?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris how did those changes go ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That's about it .. Clients should still connect. Just can't use their name ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, I've just started playing a bit and trying to figure out why our iPhone and iPad users are getting some issues. Found that 5 of the 7 1200 series APs had the wrong Name server. All corrected now, iPhones and iPads still seem to have problems connecting after wake, thinking its a client issue after reading a few posts about it.

Autonomous or controller ?

Autonous

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IP address of the DNS server is specified with the ip name-server command. So, if you have wrong ip name-server defined you will not be able to reach or ping the hosts outside your subnet.

In my case the correct DNS was being supplied by my MS dhcp server, just unsure if the incorrect name server settings in the APs was adding to my connectivity woes.

Angus Bishop
Level 1
Level 1

Just try by enabling the checkbox for aironot in the advanced tab of ssid . I had a similar issue with my iphones and ipads . Just try if it helps .

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Aironot?

So the DNS the client has is where the DNS will get resolved ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Post your config of your autonomous ap .. Lets take a peek and see if we can find anything odd ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris how did those changes go ?

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Just for the benefit of anyone reading this... I couldn't post my config due to privacy. But George directed me to the fact that there is a known issue with Apple devices when using mixed modes.

Standard is WPA/TKIP and WPA2/AES

On pre 12.4 IOS the authentication option "authentication key-management wpa version 2" is not available, so either upgrade to 12.4 or stick with WPA/TKIP.

First time I've taken part in Cisco support forum other than reading posts. If I get responses as quick as this I'll be an active member

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey George,

Great follow-up here my friend! 5

You've made yet another happy person here @ CSC!

Cheers!

Rob

"A smile relieves a heart that grieves" 

- Stones

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card