cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wifi unable to connect to websites getting problem like bottle neck issue.

hi all,

we are facing a problem with our wifi network in our company, we residency for students nearly 338 rooms per room 2 students so its nearly 700 students staying in our residency and we have 16 perfectly place Access points in our premises there is no problem in the signal coverage, also getting 2Mbps to 8 Mbps speed,during peak hours (we have 110Mbps bandwidth) after 6pm in the night till 3 in the morning, we are unable to browse any sites even though we are getting 8Mbps speed, some times after 20 sec its connection some times keep on prograssing we did all the basic steps like blocking the overflowing UDP protocol, we blocked torrentz, we even blocked skype also same problem getting for the last two months.pls help us to resolve this or guide us to troubleshoot, 

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It would be interesting to run a spectrum analysis as well as load analysis on the APs.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To piggy back on Nicks statment. If you have AirMagnet i would check wifi channel utilzation. Also also 16 aps for 700 students, is that right. all of them are on wifi ? thats a bit much..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Just to add to everyone's post.. That is a lot of users for that amount of AP's and I can see why they have issues.

Can you see the utilization on the switchport the AP's are connected to or even the utilization from that building to your core? If you have lightweight AP's and WCS, you should also be able to see the utilization at a given time on each AP. I have worked on College dorms and apartment units and we have installed much more than that. I would have to guess maybe 25 or less students per AP. this was also due to attenuation. They do love their gaming systems though:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ANother thing ... 16 WAPs?  I hope you are using only the 802.11a radio.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card