cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wildcard Certificats and 4400 WLC

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

First, I know the 4400 has been EOS. I am planning on replacing this with a new controller next year as part of a larger project. In the meantime, the certificate we have setup on our guest network is due to expire soon.

I am pretty familiar with how to get a new certificate setup, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience at using a "wildcard" type certificate, instead of the standard webserver style cert?  (http://www.digicert.com/wildcard-ssl-certificates.htm)

Its my understanding that a wildcard certificate can be used for any type of server, but the server needs to support it.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know, the wlc do not support wildcard certificates.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

All my recent install using a 3rd party certificate has been with installing a chained certificate.

Here is a doc that shows you how to combine a chained certificate and install it on a wlc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a77592.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the comments. Hopefully, I can escilate the plan to replace it.

No problem... Maybe one day it will be supported:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

To be thorough, I opened a TAC Case, and was told that we could, in fact, use a Wildcard certificate. The link I was sent is the same one you linked.

I have not tried this, nor do I have a lab unit to test on.

That is the same link I sent you.. Well let me know if it works:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: