Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Windows only see's UNii upper APs

Hello,

I have 2 1142's and 2 1131's.  The WCS put them at [100 (104)]n, 116, 149 and [(157) 161]n.

Spectrum Expert and Channelizer 4 both see all four AP's chirping away.

Neither:

Windows XP, using an Aironet 802.11a/b/g adapter on driver 4.5.0.305 or

Windows 7, using a Cisco (Linksys) AE1000

see the two AP's in the UNii middle band (100/116).

Using WirelessMon 4 or inSSIDer 2 only the UNii Upper devices at 149/161 are present.

My 7921 phone has no problems linking to the AP on 116.

I find no device driver or other windows constructs to block the Unii Mid channels.

Any idea?

9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Windows only see's UNii upper APs

Your talking about the uni-2 extended channels. Not many devices support those channels.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Silver

As far as I know, both the AE100 and the CB21 should support Unii-2e.  However, more to Scott's point, most customers don't have 100% client support for Unii-2e and therefore we often see it disabled.....

A Linksys AE1000 is like a Linksys USB600N, which is a perfect Wireless sniffer for all channels.  I'm 99.9% certain it supports Unii-2e.Same goes for the CB21.

So I would honestly fully expect your clients to be able to associate to those channels.

Now of course as I write this, I can't get my cb21 using AnyConnect 3.x to associate to unii2e   so I guess if I can get that working I'll let you know what I did.

Silver

My client is clearly not scanning Unii2e channels.... so maybe I'm completely wrong about unii2-e support for those adapters...

Take a look at #5 on this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns394/ns348/ns767/white_paper_c11-634584.html

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

WOW!  What a quick responce.  I'll have to ask more dumb questions here.. but the only dumb question is the one never asked.

Thank you  Scott and weterry..

Yes, my 2 AP's (over my head) are in the UNii-e (100-140) band now.  The used to be in the UNii-L (34-48). 

There might be a bit of MS in the pie.  I use WZC on both my laptop (win7) and desktop (xp-3).  Most of our WiFi utilities alse speak to WZC..  inSSIDer, WirelessMon etc.  Netstumbler was an exception and IT doesn't function anymore.

I will check with Aironet Site survay and see what it says.

(In fact I just loaded it and it forced a reboot before I could save my first reply.  This is ZAR2)

We upgraded the WCS from 7.0.119 to 7.0.172 so she must have switched channels then.  Now I will have to check the other 150 units and do a reconfig.

On second thought, we are getting a LOT more phones a tablets..  This would force my laptops to stay on G..

Yeah… since there isn’t much supported devices on the unii-2 extended, it is best to remove them from the DCA list to be on the safe side. Devices that roam to AP’s on these channels will drop and cause you more headaches☺

-Scott
Silver

You might want to consider disabling Unii2-e in DCA for the WLCs if you suspect you have 5Ghz clients that can't use it (which is most likely a true statement).  Unii-1, Unii-2, Unii-3 still gives you like 12 channels which is basically 4x more than 2.4Ghz (even without unii-2e)

I loaded the Areonet Site Survay app and it does not see the UNii-2e channels either.

Turned off the UNii-2 extended channels in the WLC but I have to shut down the system to apply it..  Going to need to submit an RFC to do that.

We keep the desktops on G and leave A for 7921's and what not.

thank you all for the education..

Another gotch that burned me was on the newer WLC code channel UNII 3 (165) is an option. The Cisco 7925s dont support channel 165. This gave users the idea that there was a dead spot and there wasnt ... Just an fyi

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content