Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wired LAN extension

Hello

Can anybody help me choose CISCO devices for following?

In the image Front office is alredy wired and networked.  following are the distances

Front Office  - Resturant    15m

Front office - SPA   10M

SPA - BAR        25M

FRONTOFFICE -EVENTBOARD   20M

Front office- Warehouse   35m

Office to house keeping 25m

Eventhough the distances are small these locations are seperated and have pools/roads in between and fiber or UTP connectivity is not possible

Can any one tell me how to connect these locations through wireless so that exsting LAN is extended ?  What are the best CISCO devices need for this?

Thanx

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (1)
4 REPLIES

Wired LAN extension

Hi there,

the easiest way to manage all these different environment is to install a WLC (wireless controller) with some AP-1142N .. Pay attention to choose the ones that work with the WLC and not in standalone!! After this you can built some tunnel over the radio interfaces connecting the access points and deploying in this way another kind of media that is nearly equivalent to the cable.

I would check two things:

- interferences in the area (essentially you need a survey)

- refractions/diffraction/absorption of the walls/materials  around

- possibility to encrypt the tunnel over radio that you would build.

Another way could be installing a router like a 1941W and to install few  APs in standalone mode on a layer 3 fashion (routing  the network back to the main router) or just bridged. I would use authentication and encryption in both the cases. Ad a good amount of vlan including a "guest" vlan = private vlan for who does not need to have info about the infrastructure.

Hope this helped

Alessio

Wired LAN extension

Hi alessio

Thanx

I dont like to make it complex there. I want it like this

all the locations will have wired LANs . In order to connect these  wired LANS together as a single  network what is the wireless device should i use ?   wireless bridge ?   Pls specify a CISCO model ? ( Pls note all these locations belong to same network so should use same IP range also

Thanx

Re: Wired LAN extension

Use a WLC and this access points:

AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

remember that the bold and underlined letter depends from the region you are in. In Ireland for example the regulatory impose E , you have to check this out in your country.

I love these APs, they are cheap and very performing. When a WLC (wireless controller ) is installed, they work as bridges and the WLC litterally does everything, including power optmimisation and frequency management.

So you would have :

ISP----->Router->WLC->APs->Wired LAN

If you cannot afford a WLC (best choice if the AP are more than 3) you can just buy the APs and to leave them in standalone bridged mode. PAy attention to the code for the standalone AP:

AIR-AP1142N-E-K9

NO "L" in the product name!! Again, remember that what for me is an "E" for you can be a different letter depending from your country and region.

Hope this helps

Alessio

Forgetting.... The model i gave you is an indoor AP !!!

Alessio

Re: Wired LAN extension

Hi

Can you let me know a design and the devices which i can used for this solution? Preferabley SMB products are OK)

I want the users in each wired LAN to have the system access from main server . The connections should be fault tolerant where failure of one AP will not break the connection to any of the users. Is this design correct ? any improvements ?

Thank you very much

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.