Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Wireless and VLAN's

Still relatively new to the wireless world. I've had a proposal handed to me and not exactly sure how it works. I have a 2940 switch, 2106 controller, 1522 RAP, 1522 MAP. I have VLAN A and VLAN B on the switch. VLAN A goes to the company network and VLAN B is privately addressed and has the 2106/1522's connected. I have two wireless laptops, one configured for VLAN A, one for VLAN B (private address). How/Where is the communication handled for these two laptops when connecting to the 1522 AP's through the "B" VLAN?

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Wireless and VLAN's

Once a client connects to the appropriate SSID, this SSID is mapped to a dynamic interface on the WLC which specifies the VLAN (B) this interface will also need an IP address within VLAN B's subnet.

The WLC will then trunk VLAN B to the switch then from there wherever you need it to go...

Ideally you will use the management interface of the WLC seperately to that of VLAN B in which case you will also need to trunk that VLAN to the switch.

Hope this helps. If you need further detail ask.

Mat

Community Member

Do you mean the WLC needs to have VLANs created for the Access Points and/or the access clients?

Community Member

You will need to get to grips with the basics of WLC and how each interface/VLANs are used. I suggest reading the below guide:

Config guide, choose your code:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

*delete*

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content