Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Antennas and Access Point Range

Hi Guys,

Just want to know as a Wireless design perspective that

1) In Cisco there are many Access points that supports 802.11n standard i.e. Cisco 1040 series, 1140 series, 1240 series etc. How they are different from each other, as all supports N standard? Is there range different? If they support different range then what is the parameter with which range varies?

2) may i know that single 1042 AP is suggestable for how much range and is for how many users?

3) Can somebody elaborate about BYOD also?

Kindly try to answer as fast as possible.

Thanks & Regards

Harpreet

8 REPLIES

somebody please answer me !

1.) To start, the below link goes into the AP comparison:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/at_a_glance_c45-636090.pdf

2.) It Depends.  What are the users going to be doing?  If they are just doing some web and email, you could expect ~5,000 sqft of coverage and probably 20-30 users to work ok.   If they are doing voice, video, or high bandwidth applications, you'll get less.

3.) BYOD, Bring Your Own Device.  The belief that a user can have any device they want on the network, and that the policies and security of the network, will grant them the appropriate access for the device type, user credentials, and network policy.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve, Based on the link above, the 3600 APs can handle up to 200 clients. I havent found anything else that confirms that, I have only seen recommendations of not more than 35. Thanks! Ana

Hall of Fame Super Gold

the 3600 APs can handle up to 200 clients.

The document which states that an AP, regardless of the model number, can support "200 clients" was written by the MARKETING team.  And everyone here knows how "over/super exagerate".

Rule-of-thumb is still the same:  25 clients per AP.  This number has remained the same all throughout including the latest range, the 3700.

Like we've all mentioned, this number (25 clients per AP) can go up or down by depending on the type of sustained traffic.  It can potentially go up to 35 if you have only emails, chat and browsing traffic.  If you want to do full HDMI Video traffic then this can go down to 8 to 12 clients per AP.

Another thing to consider is your network uplink. 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

1) In Cisco there are many Access points that supports 802.11n standard i.e. Cisco 1040 series, 1140 series, 1240 series etc. How they are different from each other, as all supports N standard? Is there range different? If they support different range then what is the parameter with which range varies?

802.11n support:  1240 does NOT support 802.11n.  WAPs that support 802.11n are:  1040, 1140, 1250, 1260, 3500, 3600.

Range:  Depends on how the WAPs are installed and what antennas are used (1250, 1260, 3500e, 3600e require external antennas)

2) may i know that single 1042 AP is suggestable for how much range and is for how many users?

You want to do it right or you just want to do it?

If you want to "just do it" then a 1040, 1140, 3500i or 3600i (with all data rates enabled) will get around 40 to 60 metres in a single direction.  The physical properties is that the WAP will be installed from the ceiling and you have a very, very wide open space and no walls or support beams.

If you want to do it right then the range would be down to around 20 metres in a single direction, 802.11b data rates disabled.

How many users?  This will depend on the type of wireless traffic.  Cisco recommended "magic number" is 25 clients per WAP.  If you are just doing web and email then this goes up to around 35.  If you are streaming video then the number would be around 5 to 8.

3) Can somebody elaborate about BYOD also?

To cut costs, companies have taken a liking to BYOD or Bring Your Own Device.  You, as an individual (and not an employee), bring into your work, your own personal device (laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc) and connect it to the corporate network.  As long as your device(s) have the right credentials you will have access to specific corporate network resources based upon the level of credentials your device(s) pass.

Thanks for your response leo..

If i go for site survey for Wireless and freeze the APs according to the Cisco Magic no. then what is the significance of External antennas in deciding the no of AP count ( Range and per user Bandwidth).

Secondly if suppose 35 users are using only web and e-mail under a single 802.11 N standard access point then how much per user Bandwidth will single user get?

Hi leolaohoo

Please revet on my queries.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Wireless Antennas and Access Point Range

You can't "freeze" the magic number anywhere. This is a RECOMMENDATION.

If you have users using only emails and web then yes, 35 clients per WAP will work. Speed will depend entirely young the NIC of the client and not marketing brochure. For example, Apple iDevices can push up to MCS 7 rates.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content