Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless AP migration from primary to secondary controller

Hello,

I am looking to move over 75 1252AP's from the primary controller to the secondary controller.

Both Controllers are running 7.0.116.0 and are configured for mobility.  Essentially what I will be doing is going into NCS and creating a template to just move over the access points to the secondary controller.

I will apply the template without rebooting the access points.  What is the impact to the client while the AP's roam over to the secondary controller?  Will I see an outage to clients??  Should I only be doing 1 or 2 AP's at a time?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Yes, you will see an outage

Yes, you will see an outage as AP has to go through join process again with the other controller. You can test your template with 1 or 2 AP first & then go in bulk after you familiar with the timing it takes.

In WLC CLI you can use below to do the same as well.

config ap primary-base <controller_name> <Cisco_AP_name> [controller_IP_Address]
config ap secondary-base <controller_name> <Cisco_AP_name> [controller_IP_Address]
config ap tertiary-base <controller_name> <Cisco_AP_name> [controller_IP_Address]

Here is some other information about AP failover (I have used the same code you mentioned)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/04/07/ap-failover/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Yes, you will see an outage

Yes, you will see an outage as AP has to go through join process again with the other controller. You can test your template with 1 or 2 AP first & then go in bulk after you familiar with the timing it takes.

In WLC CLI you can use below to do the same as well.

config ap primary-base <controller_name> <Cisco_AP_name> [controller_IP_Address]
config ap secondary-base <controller_name> <Cisco_AP_name> [controller_IP_Address]
config ap tertiary-base <controller_name> <Cisco_AP_name> [controller_IP_Address]

Here is some other information about AP failover (I have used the same code you mentioned)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/04/07/ap-failover/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content