Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

wireless basic questions

Gys i have out of box 20 AP 1100 LWAP...and cisco 22XX WLC......i need few information

1- what is option 43 in DHCP once i take the AP out of box shd i config static IP for managment

2- How LWAP reguster to WLC?

Thanks guys

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (2)
1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

wireless basic questions

In order for the AP to get registered to the WLC it should be able to find the mangement interface ip address of the WLC

, this can be done in many ways:

- AP sends LWAPP discovery request as broadcast on its local subnet . If there is any controller in the same VLAN the controller will send LWAPP discovery response to the AP.

- If the AP is on different VLAN other than the management interface ip address we should find a way to provision the AP with the controller ip address. For example

We can use DHCP option 43 where we define option 43 for the pool from which the AP gets ip address and we populate that option with the ip address of the controller management interface ip address.

Also we might use DNS resolution for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.localdomain

Here is a couple of links that should be helpful to you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1050339

For DHCP option 43 configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

Static commands that you might use to provision the AP with controller ip address:

AP#capwap ap ip address  

AP#capwap ap ip default-gateway 

AP#capwap ap controller ip address 

AP#capwap ap hostname 
  (optional)

-------------------------------------------
Please Make sure to rate correct answers
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.