Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless Client communication connected to separate ssid on same wlc

rizvis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm struggling to get my wireless clients connected to separate SSID to talk / see each other using same WLC running ver 7.0.116.

If connected to same SSID no issue but not when connected to separate SSIDs.

any help much appreciated.

Syed

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rizvis,

So you are saying when user 1 is connected to ssid 1 and user 2 is conncted to ssid 2 they can not communicate ? If this is the case, you may want to check routing. Another option is to push both of these vlans to the wired side and see if you can hit them on the wired.

The WLC by design is an extension of your wired network.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George.

You are absolutely correct about the scenario. When you mentioned "check routing" where exactly should I check this, as both clients connects to APs on a same WLC.

with regards to second option, did you mean P2P Blocking Action as Forward_Upstream or am I getting it wrong? Or did you mean assigning default gateway through DHCP.

Cheers.

Syed

So this doesnt sound like P2P blocking to me only becuase P2P would block you from talking to other folks on the same WLAN. And this doesnt sound like your case, correct. You can indeed talk to other people on the same WLAN, its only when you try to communicate to others in other WLANs it doesnt work, correct ?

Interesting that you bring up the gateway. Does your wireless clients have gw addresses that are given to them via DHCP? If not that may be part of your problem.

The client, if it doesnt have a gateway, it doesnt know how to get our of its own subnet and will only communicate within its own subnet.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

With regards to P2P, you are right and thats what my understanding is as well but I thought to ask you just in case I'm missing out some thing.

As for DHCP stuff I've asked my onsite staff to provide me with that info, so will post it here when I get it.

Also just to make myself clear, does inter-SSID routing is handled by WLC or it is passed upward to L3 device on the wired segment for handling?

Thanks, you've been very helpful on this.

Cheers.

Syed

All routing is handled by your router. The WLC acts as a "switch". It takes the wireless packet matches it to the wired interfaces (under your controller tab) and then sends it on to the wire.

You did set up your wired interfaces in the WLC ?

Your entered gw addresses on your wired side interfaces ?

The WLAN is mapped to the proper wired side interface ?

Your wireless clients have gw addresses correct ?

If you extend the vlans to the wired side can you hit the other vlan ?