Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Clients getting DHCP IP from other WLAN

gnanavel.ns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client has a wireless setup consisting of a WLC 2112 and about 7 1131AG LWAPPs. There are two SSIDs, say CORP(mapped to VLAN 900) and GUEST(mapped to VLAN 901). Wireless clients get IP through DHCP. DHCP IP is configured in the Dynamic interface.

The problem is sometimes (not always), clients connecting to SSID CORP get a DHCP IP assigned for GUEST VLAN(VLAN 901).

Since it is happening randomly, clueless as to what is causing the problem.

Any inputs?

Regards

Gnan.

P.S Just to add though this could be irrelevant, only after making VLAN ID of the admin interface and AP Manager interface as '0', the APs could talk to the WLC and i was able to http to the WLC from the LAN.(WLC Mgmt, AP Mgmt IPs and AP Manager interface are in same VLAN).

4 Replies 4

Angus Bishop
Level 1
Level 1

Please try configuring ip-helper address in the VLAN .

Regards

Angus

Angus Bishop
Level 1
Level 1

hi

Please try configuring ip-helper address in the VLAN .

Regards

Angus

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like the client may be connecting to the guest WLAN first, then connecting to the Corp WLAN.

As to the VLAN setting.  0 in the WLC means untagged.  If your switchport has the switchport trunk native valn < x > command you would need to be untagged.  Otherwise the switch would get a packet tagged with the native vlan, and then drop the traffic.

***if your management is in VLAN 1, the above is true with out the native setting, as VLAN 1 is native by default

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

adam.sibille
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Are you using AP groups on your WLC?  If you're using AP groups and you add a SSID into an AP group, you have to specify which interface ties to which SSID.  Sometimes it's easy to misconfig a SSID when adding groups.  The situation I am referring to would give the same issue which you are describing.

The only reason I know about this issue is because I've done it a few times

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: