Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless clients (Moto 3190Gs) lose connection to AP - Interference

Hi, We recently implemented a data collection system in our stock room using Motorola 3190G scanners and Cisco 1242ag APs.  In one are of the warehouse, we are losing connectivity with the program on the scanners.  They actually lock up and disconnect. After much checking we found another wireless SSID appearing in range that we believe is from the utility company for metering.  They say they can not remove their devices so we must find some other solution.  It is odd that it never appeared when we did our layout.

Anyway, being new with wireless configuration,  I am gathering I have to do something from the scanner side to insure they connect only to my Cisco A/Ps SSID or do I need to configure my AP also to do anything differently?

Thank you for any suggestions!

• Getting Started with Wireless
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Wireless clients (Moto 3190Gs) lose connection to AP - Inte

Hi,

When working with wireless we need to keep in mind that access points create interfirence with other access points, so due to this we need to make sure that when we locate the access points on site using the 2.4 ghz radio that we distribut the 3 non overlapping channels between all the units and also that the overlap between the coverage cell of each ap is not more than 15 % between each ap so that thr wireless clients do not expirience roamming issues.

Regarding the 5 ghz radio we do not need to worry about the channel distribution since all the channels are non overlapping , we just need to set it to an static ip address so that the aps do not change the channel constantley on the units and make your wireless clients connect and disconnect.

Regarding the issue of unmanage access points the most you can do is try to check determine on what channel they are set so that you can set your aps close to it on a different channel so they dont create interfirence to yours and yours to thers. Also check until where the signal of there aps reach on your area so you can determine how to distribut your aps .

All this is determine when doing a site survey to determine rf interfirence, where to locate each ap, power levels, channel distribution and exisiting wifi networks.

I would try to set your aps on best range on both radios, disable aironet extensions, distribut the 3 non overlapping channels on the 2.4ghz use static channel on the 5gz and check how it goes.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.