Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Employee

Wireless clients showing up in odd locations

I've got a customer with a few 2504s and a few 5508s. Mostly runing 7.3.101.0 and 7.4.110.0 code.

He's got PI 1.3 and an MSE running 7.3-

Problem is he has wireless clients showing up in locations on the map where they're not actually located!

It looks like his APs are, if anything, maybe too dense.

How the hec can I troubleshoot this???... why he has devices showing up where they really shouldn't be.

My knowledge of this is there needs to be at least 3 APs in order to get a good accurate location of where a client is located.

I'm not sure how to tell how many APs a client is actually "bouncing off of"...

Any input is appreciated.

rob

• Getting Started with Wireless
9 REPLIES

Hey Rob,

As you said the APs generally need 3 to triangulate where a client is based on Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI) and Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) values. The APs don't have the ability to directly understand the direction that a client is actually transmitting from and uses a variety of techniques to 'guess' if the right information isn't available. If you have a look through the guide linked below it should give you a better understanding of how to design/deploy for location services.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/WiFiLBS-DG.html

Ric

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Wireless clients showing up in odd locations

One of the biggest issue I have seen is the AP's are not in the correct locations. Meaning that the AP's might be mounted in the wrong locations. This is what I would troubleshoot or look into first. I typically will disable the lights on a particular access point and verify the location.... Even with AP's labeled, I have seen where labels were wrong.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Cisco Employee

Scott,

Can you expand a bit on what you mean by disabling lights on  a particular AP then verifying the location?

Cisco Employee

Scott,

Also by looking at this other posting https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4112823#4112823

I don't know if theses guys even have a site survey so I'll for sure ask them this tomorrow....

I believe he meant you use: Wireless --> All APs --> Advanced --> LED State Enable so you can identify one at a time each AP.

That is correct. Disable the LED per AP to verify which AP has the light turned off. I use this technique when I have to come in and troubleshoot especially when the AP is mounted high where I can't see the label if there is a label.

Also I would ask for the site survey, because if they expect location to be somewhat perfect, they should of had a survey performed. I will look at the report to see what the survey requirement were also as it may just be to provide data.

When you are viewing the maps, does it look like a high density deployment?

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Cisco Employee

Thanks Scott.

The map actually does look to maybe even have too many APs.

The 1st thing I'll have him do is go through on a one-by-one basis to verify the AP setup matches what the map(s) in his PI server have.

If I know it's high density by looking at the map, then I would set the max TX power to maybe 17dbm or 14dbm and also set the min to maybe 6dbm or 9dbm to reduce the RF cell size. The clients might be sticking to an AP. I would also take a look at the power levels just to see if any are set too low, because then, the clients will never associate to those AP's and that will throw off any type of location. I would also disable the lower data rates to really ensure clients are not sticking or holding into an AP. In schools where I have an ap in every room, I might have 24 and 54 as mandatory, everything in between and 18 as supported and below 18 disabled. I tweak the environment to allow for clients to roam and not stick.

Cisco Employee

cool.

thanks for the input!

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.