Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Configuration

garyaberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our Church has a Conference center that is in the Mountains, a very remote location with many trees. We have Internet over Satellite and need to connect 2 other remote buildings to the Internet connection. The maximum distance for Bldg1 is approx 1200 FT.

Bldg2 is about 700Ft. These of course would need to connect to Bldg3 with the Internet connection. We could probably get line of sight, but not sure. Is the Cisco 1500 over kill for this solution?

Or can someone recommend a viable Cisco solution?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If this is a building-to-building type bridge, something like a 1400 or 1300 series bridge would be a better choice.

Regarding "Not Sure" on the line-of-sight ... for the money and effort you are likely to invest in this implementation, you're probably going to be a little more certain. Line-of-sight is not optional, and you can't amplify the signal and "punch through" (without roasting every organic critter within range); you actually need better than LOS because of a thing called the "Freznel Zone."

The distances you mention are no big deal, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE LOS, for the 1300 or 1400 series.

Good Luck

Scott

Thank Scott. I am going to go see about LOS now. So if Im understanding you right both buildings trying to connect to the Internet will need the 1300. What will the building with the Internet connection need? I also assume this would have to be an outdoor installation.

Thanks again,

Gary

The general setup for a point-to-multipoint would be to have an AP / bridge at the central site with an omnidirectional antenna, with directional antennas of some sort at each of the remotes.

You could do the 1300s at the remotes, and a 1240 at the central location.

The 1200 series can be configured with cabling and external antennas, but the AP generally stays indoors. The goal would be to keep the antenna cabling as short as practical, because there is a lot of loss at these frequencies.

It is also desirable with any external system to have a segment of fiber between the externally-connected components and the rest of the network (to keep lightning and other "environmental events" outside where they belong).

The fiber link is frequently in the form of copper-fiber transceivers between the APs and the switch they are connected to.

This would be in addition to the so-called "lightning arrestors" ... which protect the LAN from lightning about as much as an aluminum foil "bullet-proof" vest. They do serve a purpose, they drain static and field/ground charges and *reduce* the chances of a lightning hit, but a direct hit, or near hit, without a fiber segment, will roast everything on the LAN, and probably the phone system and everything else electronic in the neighborhood.

The qualification, up front, is that a good site survey should always be done.

In your case, you could probably do a very basic check with a couple laptops and some "pringle can" type of antennas... but if you do not have a visual line of sight, don't bother, that is the absolute minimum for any hope to communicate.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi scott!

I have the following doubt:

Are you sure the 1242 are able to support point-to-multipoint? I haven't found information regarding this particular feature, tell me if you have already configured a point-multipoint 1242

Thnks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: