cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Controllers Primary and Backup

stanleyworks
Level 1
Level 1

I have couple WLAN Controllers. I would like to set primary and back up on LWAPP. Do I have to create DNS name for Primary Controller Name, Secondary Controller Name? if yes, which IP do I suppose to point to? (Manager Interface IP or AP Managee Interface)?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would just use the system name of the wlc in the primary, secondary or tertiary fields in the WLC. No need for DNS entry. If you were priming the ap's and wanted to use DNS, then you would use the management ip of only one of the wlc's. Here is a link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk721/technologies_tech_note09186a00807a85b8.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Fella5,

Thanks for your information. However, I been using the system name but after however after set up primary and secondary WLC. I reboot the LWAPP, but it still report back to the first Discovery WLC, which is now Secondary WLC. I didn't primed the WLAPP at first, but I am using CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER DNS.

Thanks,

Make sure the mobility groups is setup and you can mpint and eping to each WLC. Remove the DNS entry also and ap fallback is enabled.

-Scott

Fella5,

I am has all that set up, but still can not fallback the AP. so for exam if LWAPP set up primary controller "C1" and Seconday controller "C2". When we reboot the LWAPP these info keep in memory. They will look for "C1" but how do they know which IP address to look for? They will has system names but will not able to reach to layer3. Do we has to create a WLC cluster or something... otherwise, I dont see how they know what is "C1" or "C2". maybe WINS or something?

thanks,

They will know of the other WLC and its IP Address from the mobility group configuration. There you specify the mobility group name, WLC mac address and the IP Address. So when the the AP is associated to C2, it knows of the information of C1 through the mobility group configuration. If this isn't set right, AP fallback will not work.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card