Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless deployment with your recommendations

majdal1111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are going to propose a wireless solution (both Outdoor as well as Indoor).This location is a Mall. We have three big show rooms that will be connected by outdoor and for the small show rooms either connecting by indoor or by Ethernet cables.

This point is we can?t connect the cabinets together by fiber because the routes (corridors) are prohibiting using for individual purposes. Due to this reason I connect each location with other by access point with orientated external antenna.

Cloud you please have a look for the drawings that I have made by MS Visio 2003 and if you have any recommendations please share with us.

THANX

HASSAN

5 Replies 5

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

Hmmm,

I didn't get to see the drawing, since I am cheap and do not have Visio 2003 yet, so I apologize for not being fully prepared to comment.

However, I was able to read your scope and it is a bit scary. If you handed that to me I would have thanked you for your time and fired you and found someone else.

It is very general in nature and the SOW needs to be very detailed to avoid any hard feelings, lawsuits and other unpleasantness.

What specifically do you mean by 'basic wireless configuration'? I interpret that to include encryption at the very least. There are no locations as to where the equipment will be mounted (indoor, outdoor, roof, antenna masts, grounding, etc..)there are no descriptions of what you planned on installing and the names of the people who said that this plan is acceptable.

My biggest concern is whether you have done a path analysis yet or not. It sounds like 'not', yet you already know what antennas will be used. Clear line of sight will not be sufficient for a successful RF link, radio LOS is required as well.

I see no references to the path analysis, no guaranteed uptime, no reference to physical locations, no references to the customer's contact,

all it basically says is that you are supplying configuring and installing wireless gear.

Now, if your intent is to not guarantee anything past that, forgive me and you may proceed. Perhaps the customer doesn't wish to pay for very much and is willing to take the risk that it won't work. If this is the case, it also needs to be in the scope of work.

There should be no questions left unanswered as to who is responsible for what.

I don't mean to be harshing on anybody's mellow, but it's all about helping you help yourself. Your very irate customer will not be so pleasant.

Peace-

Thank you very much for your reply, and due to the subject name I need all your recommendations that will support me in order to introduce a professional wireless proposal.

Yes I am waiting all to put his experience in this article.

By the way, we are in the plan phase in Cisco Wireless life cycle in this project.

THANX

HASSAN

These are all generalizations based on what I would expect to see from you if you were my contractor. I really do not know the nature of your project and will not comment beyond general ideas.

First you should have the client tell you what they hope to accomplish with this network. What kind of devices expect to be on it at startup and in the future. What kind of applications will be required to work (web, email, voice etc..)what kind of security things like that.

After you and the client have discussed what the client expects it to do, then you have to figure out what the environment will let you do. This is where the survey and the creativity come in.

Then in your scope of work (SOW), you will list who is responsible for what in clear, complete sentences.

Who buys the gear? Who will support it? What will be required from the client during install?

At that point, you should have a scope of work that everyone has agreed on and this will be what you base your fee upon. If suddenly during the install phase, something else pops up that isn't in the scope, you do not want that costing you money...

This keeps the project on time, on budget and on target, and delivers exactly what you promised - nothing more, nothing less and nobody gets their feelings hurt.

Anything past that and I'd have to charge you-

I'm not cheap either. Hopefully, this will put in your mind the questions you need to ask for your specific situation. It is after all, your project and your name will be associated to it forever. This will be a start in the right direction to building a successful business.

good luck-

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Hassan,

I just wanted to add a comment to John's excellent info here. This is only meant as a clarification of "Scope of Work" ideas. This type of document allows you to manage expectations on your part and of course from the clients perpective :) By working through the scope of the project in detail you will be able to mitigate potential problems that arise from not being on the "same page" as the prospective clients. Here are some excerpts from a great doc;

"The Scope of Work sets expectations so that all parties understand what is included and excluded, the phases of the project or service, and the entry and exit criteria for each phase. By creating a well-defined Scope of Work that is based on a blueprinted service, you can minimize scope creep and design your service to proactively meet your customers needs.When designing a service, the Scope of Work should use the results from the service design process to produce a document that specifically spells out what is included and excluded in the service, as well as the team member responsibilities.

Purpose of the Scope of Work

Creates the service boundaries (what is included and what is excluded).

Lends the service to be repeatable and consistent.

Defines the service success factors (what will make this service successful).

Identifies the service phases with entry and exit criteria.

Specifies the customer and solution provider responsibilities.

Service Scope: It is important to look at the service design and provide the high level detail of all that is included in the service. This would include technology areas covered, functionality included, and the ultimate deliverables. It's equally important to detail the service assumptions and exclusions. Assumptions could include dependent systems or specific processes that must be in place and running. Additionally, list in detail what is not included in this service. This is a key area to think through in detail to prevent scope creep and delays. Identify potential points of delay or service failure, and if they're not in your control, specify that your service performance will be affected by any errors or omissions within these customer dependent systems.

Phase Responsibilities: For each phase, detail the responsibilities of both the customer and your organization. It's then easy to review the entire service prior to launch and spell out which actions are required by the customer. By stating the customer requirements in the Scope of Work, you can reference them in the assumptions section by indicating that if the customer responsibilities are not met in their appropriate phases, the timeline will not be met and the service objectives will be at risk.

Phase Deliverables: For each phase, describe and define the deliverables or outcomes of the specific phase. This will help all stakeholders understand the relevancy and importance of each phase relative to the service objective.

Phase Completion Criteria: Completion criteria, or boundary conditions, are critical for each phase. They act as toll gates or checkpoints to make sure that all responsible parties are contributing to reach the goal. In project management terms, they act as milestones to the service where critical actions need to be completed. Think of this in terms of a decision to move forward, or an acceptance of a phase deliverable.

The Finished Product

The completed Scope of Work can take on a variety of forms, but remember that this is ultimately a legal document binding you to perform the services as described."

From this well written (By Paul Born ) Scope of Work doc;

http://www.techlinks.net/CommunityPublishing/tabid/92/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3679/More-Customer-Satisfaction-Less-Scope-Creep.aspx

Hope this helps! And best of luck going forward!

Rob

majdal1111
Level 1
Level 1

Now I can say the figure is completely cleared for the Scope of Work but also I need to share with you about the design that already done by MS Visio. Simply, we have many shops that distribute in the one mall and I need to connect them wirelessly because the physical routes are not available in the mall. The point is how can we connect these shops together by Indoor wireless solution?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card