Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Design

Hi,

I'm looking at deploying a single WLC 5580 into a data centre and I'm trying to decide if to use flexconnect or to tunnel traffic back to the controller. There will be 2 offices each with 40 access points. The wireless will need to support roaming  voice traffic.

Will I have any issues with flexconnect and 30 access points? I'm aware that you can only have 25 aps per flexconnect group but I dont know if this has any limitations such as dirty roaming? Also is tunneling traffic back to the WLC ok for voice and video traffic as the traffic will have to travel back from the data centre
to the local offices?

Thanks,

Everyone's tags (3)
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wireless Design

Use HREAP/Flexconnect.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Wireless Design

I agree with Leo, but you better know the limitations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080b3690b.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Wireless Design

Thanks for this.

Will there be any issues using WPA2/AES and PEAP authentication with Flexconnect? I want to ensure that wireless clients do not disconnect and reauthenticate as they roam between access points in the same and different and flexconnect groups.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wireless Design

Will there be any issues using WPA2/AES and PEAP authentication with Flexconnect?

None.

I want to ensure that wireless clients do not disconnect and reauthenticate as they roam between access points in the same and different and flexconnect groups.

Make sure you have adequate coverage to support roaming.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Wireless Design

Like Leo mentioned, you need to make sure you have good coverage depending if your looking for data, voice, or location based services. You need to understand if you really need to use FlexConnect groups or not also as it is not a requirement. Devices will roam fine, but there is no benefit if you have a centralized radius and devices don't support cckm or okc.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies