Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless help please

Ello all. I have a question about wireless with cisco. I did my CCNA about 6 years ago and also the routing portion of my CCNP. However, then, there was no wireless portion at all for configuration of cisco devices. It basically talked about the technology of wifi. Ok, so since my CCNA, i lost my job for 1.3 years. After i got a part time job doing calls, i decided to go back to school about 1.5 years ago but now its pre-med. Yes, a BIG switch in gears. But its my passion and i must abide by it.  Lol

Here is my question. I have been asked to do some research on a cisco wireless product for my boss. He knows i have done my CCNA and some CCNP and has asked for some help in R&D. I figured i might as well come to the masters and get the help i need. Granted i may have switched to pre-med but i still review concepts every few months or so. haha. Subnetting and supernetting is so addicting. lol

He is asking about the Cisco 3602i. Here are his concerns:

Can it connect and function directly with a 3750 switch?  Or does it need to have a wireless controller in the configuration?

configuration of the product? IE what other devices does it need, is there any documentation for syntax to configure it? is it web based configuration?

What antenna are we likely to need (internal only).

Can this access point run properly (configured and remotely maintained) by connecting it to a Cisco 3750?

.......If not, then will it require a wireless controller as an add on module to the 3750 or as a seperate unit?

I hope these all make sense. I tried to coralate the ideas stated as best as i could.

We are thinking of at least 2 AP for sure since the office space is 50 feet by 130 feet. It is VERY open and hardly any walls. Basically a GIANT rectangle. There are a few offices and we may need a third but we doubt it.

Thank you very much for your help and time in answering my questions.

• Getting Started with Wireless
5 REPLIES

Re: Wireless help please

Hi Matt,

I haven't used the 3602i model (we still mainly use the 1142 model), but had a quick look at the Cisco guide for the 3600 series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/3600/quick/guide/ap3600getstart.pdf

It seems to say that the 3602i is a Lightweight Access Point ie it requires a Wireless LAN Controller to obtain its configuration and to run etc. The WLC has its own GUI from which you can configure any APs that are connected to it. The 3602i has internal antennas - hence the 'i' in the name as opposed to 3602e which has external antennas.

The 3750 is a PoE model so it will be able to provide power for the AP.

rgrds,

inayat

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wireless help please

Can it connect and function directly with a 3750 switch? 

The 3602i can be powered up using 15.0w of PoE power.  Due to the wireless bandwidth this model requires, it would be recommended to connect the WAP to a GigabitEthernet port although you can connect this to a FastEthernet port if the former is not freely available.

Or does it need to have a wireless controller in the configuration?

The 3602i will require a wireless controller that will support 7.2.X firmware.  This will narrow down your specifications to either the 2504 or the 5508 (including the router-based NME controllers).

You "can" run the 3602i in autonomous but ClearAir will not be working and Cisco TAC will not help you when you have configuration issues.  The autonomous IOS for the 3600 is not designed for "service" but was made to assist in wireless site survey (hence, ClearAir is disabled).

What antenna are we likely to need (internal only).

3602i has an internal antenna.  If you want the model with the external antenna then it's the 3602e.

Wireless help please

Perfect guys. Thanks for the information. Let me relay this to the boss and see what he says. I know one other question he wants to know is if we can add our own antenna to it later on? I would say no based on the info above since it is the 3602i and not e. I think i got confused on both sides here. When someone says external vs internel, are they referring to indoor or outdoor? Or are they referring to internal as in inside the wap vs externl like what a home linksys wrt uses?

sorry, im a pre med student who is in mechanical and electrical engineering so external and internal have different meanings at times. haha

thanks

Matt

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wireless help please

I know one other question he wants to know is if we can add our own antenna to it later on?

The 3600i has an internal antenna.  You need to purchase the 3600e if you want to add external antenna.

When someone says external vs internel, are they referring to indoor or outdoor?

The 3600e has six RP-TNC sockets while the 3600i doesn't.  So there is no physical way for you to attach an external antenna to a 3600i.

sorry, im a pre med student who is in mechanical and electrical engineering so external and internal have different meanings at times. haha

Pre-med doing CCNA/CCNP and wireless?  Interesting combination. 

Wireless help please

leolaohoo wrote:

Pre-med doing CCNA/CCNP and wireless?  Interesting combination. 

Yes, yes it is. Since you guys have been so excelent at answering my questions. i will fill you in on some history.

I originally helped create a degree at my local university for students interested in networking. When one would graduate, they would have the following:

CCNP

RHCT

MAC cert

MSCE

and also:

Wireless security

Network documentation and analsys using wireshark

MAC and windows server admin

telecom cabling

data center

SANS

Wireless configuration and setup with radious and SSH tuneling

Business deployment

Management

Communication in the workplace

This was a 2 year degree but it gave you the same as a bachelors in Network engineering with business management. Allowed students to land a job as a lone IT supervisor for up to 90 employees

haha

I recieved that and then lost my job for over a year. Decided i like science and engineering better than IT management so i started school again. haha. Nothing against IT, just a hooby as a carer... bad idea for me.

thanks guys. hope to hear back

Views
Helpful
Replies