Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless hot spot in a cafe

godowd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to setup a wireless hotspot in a cafe.

Cafe will have a DSL connection already.

What do I need to do ?

Thanks

George.

4 Replies 4

amitubale
Level 1
Level 1

If your ISP provies you with only one Ip address, you need to buy a cheap Router ( Linksys or Dlink) that will do NAT-ing.

Connect the DSL in in to the router and connect the Cisco AP in one of the ports of the Router.

Conduct a Site Survey to better serve the hotstop in the cafe and place the AP.

Thanks for that.

I guess the AP settings are left at default ?

G

If you want to setup a _public_ hotspot you can leave them at default. But you should change the settings for admin access (default: Cisco/Cisco), maybe IP etc.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Even if you do not intend to charge for access, you will need to control access. If someone launches a malicious attack through your system, you may be liable for damages.

You may want to look at using something like USB attached wireless clients: they're universal and you can record their MACs for access control.

For other devices (PDAs, non-USB equipment, people that want to use their own NICs or built-ins) you should have some sort of registration so that you can track "bad" users.

Open access is asking for trouble, in my opinion. Aside from the fact that non-cafe users can use your network (and eliminate that amount of bandwidth from cafe users), it's a serious security risk.

At the least, you need some sort of waiver of liability ("you attach to this network at your own risk, we are not responsible for worm or virus infections caught by using this network ....(etc)"

If this is all new to you, you should engage help from a professional organization. There are many potholes, caveats, and generally bad things that can ruin your good intentions.

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: