cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Wireless Implementation design tool

Hi,

do you know any tool which we can use to design WLAN implementation's? Preferable freeware, but if you know any payed tool which is really good, let me know.

Thanks.

Jorge

3 REPLIES

Re: Wireless Implementation design tool

I may be putting more thought in this than i should, however are you asking about tools which perform a theoretical site survey? IE, based on a blueprint it estimates the positioning of APs and antennas? If so sorry i do not know of any..

If your conducting your own site survey and wish to document your findings, i found that a combination of Visio and printed blue prints worked best for me. Conducted the site survey, writing notes on the way on the blueprint... IE special considerations in certain areas. Then transferd those notes and AP locations into Visio.

Silver

For predictive site sureveys, I use Ekahau, but AirMagnet also has a newer product that is supposed to be worth trying. However, both products are paid products.

If you want to do surveys on the cheap, my best experience has been doing physical surveys with an ap or two, and just slowly working your way across the building marking coverage areas. Most client software (Cisco, Intel) can show you signal strength, so you can map your distance from the AP to where coverage passes your threshhold.

- Eric

Silver

I would recommend doing a onsite survey if at all possible. I have used Ekahau to do this and it does a TERRIFIC job in collecting RF information an plotting it on a floorplan as you walk through the building.

http://www.ekahau.com

As far as predictive tools go, you will find varying results using them.

For best results, you should perform an onsite survey using the access point model you plan on installing.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content