Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless internet project here in Afghanistan

I am assisting a local internet cafe here in the base with setting up wireless internet for a whole base here in Afghan for the soldiers. He is in the processing of upgrading his dish access as we speak. I am still wanting to get suggestions from everyone here on what hardware is the best for me to implement across this small base. There is expected to be anywhere from 200 - 500 users within the first 1-2 months signing up for service. Here is the layout. He is needing to place several wireless APs through the base. The base isnt that big more or less it is 1 square mile. He is wanting to have overlapping zones. He has permission to pop 4 APs on the base throughout several high towers that are about 30 - 50 feet high. I was speaking with a friend and he had mentioned Cisco 1400 Bridges shooting from his office where the dish is located to each spot..to a bridge...where there will be an AP and multidirectional Antenna. What are some of yous guys thoughts? Also, what can be used on the satellite side in order to dish out IPs? a basic Cisco switch handing out IPs from a predetermined ip pool? Since we will need a range of at least 2000 IPs with room for growth, what do you recommend as a good range? I have been in IT for 11 years now but I just want to make sure I get this right and do not disappoint. Thanks everyone for your assistance.r

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Wireless internet project here in Afghanistan

several high towers that are about 30 - 50 feet high.

Won't work.  Recommended height is 10 feet.

Dude, the design is down-right "dodgy".  WLAN is not like a mobile phone tower.

There is expected to be anywhere from 200 - 500 users within the first 1-2 months signing up for service. 

Cisco recommends no more than 25 users per AP as not to saturate the ethernet. 

I think you need to consider getting a WLC that runs on Mesh firmwares.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content