Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Lan Controller without HA SKU

jcartes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My client have two wireless lan controller 5508 without the HA SKU but they are configured in HA and now they need new licences, my question are there i need to buy licence for ich Wireless Lan Controller?

if yes how can i configure the licences in the secondary WLC? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes or no....

If you are using a 5508-50 as your HA *and* you want to increase that license, then yes.

Otherwise you will only need to apply licenses to the "master" and when you do an HA failover, the licenses should follow.

The only reason to apply licenses to both is if you are going to break HA>

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My client have two wireless lan controller 5508 without the HA SKU but they are configured in HA and now they need new licences, my question are there i need to buy licence for ich Wireless Lan Controller? 

Send an email to licensing@cisco.com and provide your CCO login, the serial numbers of the two appliances.  Tell them what you want to do, i. e.  configure HA SSO, and there's a chance the license from one of the appliance will get moved to the other one.

Hi,

Thank you both, already buy two licences for each WLC, but these are configured as HA cluster, so Do I have to configure them back to standalone from HA in order to add the new licenses?

regard

Yes or no....

If you are using a 5508-50 as your HA *and* you want to increase that license, then yes.

Otherwise you will only need to apply licenses to the "master" and when you do an HA failover, the licenses should follow.

The only reason to apply licenses to both is if you are going to break HA>

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi stephen,

That's mean if i break the HA the secondary WLC would unlicensed  even if previosly  had active licenses? 

Regard

JCE 

If you break the HA, then the WLC would go back to whatever license it had before you put it in HA mode. So at minimum it would be 50 AP licenses on that 5508.

But if you are not looking at breaking the HA, you just load the license as normal.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Stephen,

For AP SSO HA  there are few things to keep in mind when we talk about licenses.

1) Licenses on primary do not matter when setting up as HA unit.

2) Secondary unit can either be bought as HA-SKU unit or a normal 5508 with minimum 50 licenses can be made secondary.

3) Once AP HA SSO is setup then you just need to install licenses on Primary as Standby always syncs licenses from Primary once in HA.

So in short, your scenario only requires installing Licenses on Primary(Breaking HA should not be required as last time i did it, without breaking HA) however if you are on some older codes so it may require to break HA.

Cheers

Kamal

Kamaljeet Singh
Level 1
Level 1

If its not HA SKU then you need to buy licenses for the WLC's separately.

You can buy license for either one of them or both as in N+1 HA licenses and configurations are not synced automatically.

Licenses are configured same way as on a normal WLC when not in HA-SKU.

Regards,

Kamaljeet

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have purchased an -HA SKU, it is not possible to convert it to a primary controller.

The exception to this is if a customer has purchased a primary controller such as a Cisco 5508-50 Wireless Controller and converted it to an HA controller and now wants to revert that to being a primary controller. Such a transition is supported.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card