Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless LAN/Firewall

If I have a wireless LAN in a building connected to Cisco Catalyst 3524 switches and want this wirless network to gain access to the LAN which is also connected to Catalyst 3548 switches. More like a campus enviroment, no public network involved. Do I have to have PIX to isolate the boundry between two switches one is connected to the local LAN and the other one is connected to the Wirless LAN. I thought I could create VLANS between those networks and then can use the external router to route traffic between them and then build my access-list to permit and deny the traffic. Someone is using the PIX as treating outside interface for Wireless network and Inside interface as an Internal Network. Any suggestions.

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Wireless LAN/Firewall

Without a PIX you will not be firewalling your lan from your wlan. If the switch gets compromised, your security is no more. Also, vlans and access-lists on the switches do not inspect the traffic as a true firewall does. I would place a firewall there if need warrants security.

Views
Helpful
Replies