Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless LAN on the production floor

I'm working on an SCADA / MES software solution in a meat processing production area. I want to have an ethernet connection to all PLC controled machines. Some of these machines can be positioned anywhere on this production floor, so I'm considering a wireless solution. The only problem I have is that if I want a connection to the machines PLC I only have a RJ45 port available. So if I want to connect this machine I tought of using a regular access point. But I need to know if it is possible to connect from one access point to another.

Another question is, do I need to have a special type of antenna since all machines in this enviroment are made off stainless steel.

Hoping that anyone can help me. Best regards,

Pieter Theuns

1 REPLY

Re: Wireless LAN on the production floor

You can use a Station Adapter to talk to an AP, but unless/until Cisco implements WDS, you cannot talk AP-to-AP.

Cisco's version of the Station Adapter is the Workgroup Bridge.

We are considering putting out a harsh-environment kit that would make an AP, Station Adpater or WGB 'splash proof', including water-tight CAT5 and antenna connectors. That might be a consideration for your environment.

Matthew Chief

Wireless Architect

www.BlueModal.com

Views
Helpful
Replies