Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless mobility - different SSIDs

Hi,

I have 4 sites configued as below with CAPWAP model.

Site # 1: 5508 controller + 20 APs. SSID: XYZsecure doing 802.1X to a radius server on site # 1.

Site # 2: 2504 controller + 8 APs. SSID: xyzsecure doing 802.1X to a radius server on site # 2.

Site # 3: 2504 controller + 8 APs. SSID: xyzsecure doing 802.1X to a radius server on site # 3.

Site # 4: 2504 controller + 7 APs. SSID: xyzsecure doing 802.1X to a radius server on site # 4.

I have my mobility group name set to "xyzwifi" and added Mac address and IP of each controller to all the controller and it shows status of UP now.

How would the mobility work here? Do I need to change SSID on site # 1 to lower case xyz to match rest of the site of with mobility it does not matter? Just trying to understand how its supposed to work.

Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Wireless mobility - different SSIDs

SSID's are case sensitive so users in site 2-4 can go from one site to another without having to change their profile. If they go to site 1, they would have to create a new profile with the SSID capitalized. Make sense?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
4 REPLIES

Well if you want to have a standard SSID throughout your organization, it's best to keep the SSID identical. Mobility group is used when you require roaming between APs that are joined to different wlcs. If these site are wide spread and if a user leaves one site and doesn't have connectivity while moving to another site, you can have the wlcs in different mobility groups. It is okay to leave them in one group, I just wanted to explain mobility groups to you.

If for example your sites are close to each other like in a campus environment where a user can walk from one building to another, you would want the wlc's in the same mobility group to ensure seamless roaming.

-Scott

SSID's are case sensitive so users in site 2-4 can go from one site to another without having to change their profile. If they go to site 1, they would have to create a new profile with the SSID capitalized. Make sense?

-Scott

Yep. Makes sense. I will make them all match.

Thanks,

Sam

Thanks for using the rating system!

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content