cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless re-design recommendation

bbhattacharya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, We have a wireless network setup and would like to expand it.

Currently we have wireless in the HQ only - 4402 controllers (2) and 1142 APs.

We have over 90 branches and would like to provide wireless to them as well. Some offices are large (20-30 users) and others are small (2-6 users). They connect to MPLS cloud with a low bandwidth connection (1.5 T1 to 5Mb ethernet connection)

Should the branches get autonomous APs instead of lightweight and create a VLANs for each SSID with ACLs before routing them to the rest of the network, or is it advisable to implement them as "light weight" and increase the license on my controllers (there aren't too many licenses left if I can recall correctly)? Is there a document that covers a scenario like mine? I am ready to look at a total revamp of the wireless infrastructure if that is what is needed.

Thank you very much experts.

3 Replies 3

I would NOT recommend to go with Autonomous AP deployment at Branch sites, it will give you lots of admin overhead to maintain that setup.

Instead you can use lightweight AP in FlexConnect mode which will give you good branch wireless design. Refer below Ciscolive material which will go through all the options available for good branch wireless design.

http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net/2013/usa/pdf/BRKEWN-2016.pdf

since you have 4402 WLC, I would recommend to do a whole revamp of your wireless infrastructure including wireless controller as well (probably with 5508).

PS: If you are looking more towards future, then you can consider next generation controllers like 3850/5760, but this involve most of hardware replacment in your switch network as well.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go for lightweight based WLC setup than the autonomous setup when yo have different sites to be managed...

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

You will have better control by using LAP and using Flex connect

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card