Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Remote Management Question

I'm looking for documentation on how to manage wireless devices (Aironet {all models} and Wireless LAN Controllers).

I'm not all that familiar with the Wireless products and I'm not interesting in using any tools or web-browsers to do the job, only about how to remotely access each Wireless device and pull in it's "show version" or possibly "show tech-support" information from a remote site.

I don't need technical details of how to configure the devices, but I am looking for information about whether they are accessible via Telnet and whether their management commands (show ver, show tech-supp, etc.) are any different that Cisco's L2/L3 Switch/Routers or not.

3 REPLIES

Re: Wireless Remote Management Question

Pretty much you can do just that.

On an IOS AP, you can telnet to it and issue a show run or show tech-support just like a switch or router. Of course that is so long as you have enabled a password/login on the VTY ports.

For the controller it is a bit different. By default we only allow SSH to the management IP address, although you can turn on telnet. There are many commands that can be used on the controller, but show run does work, but it gives you all the detailed information for all the AP's. So if you have a 4404 with a full 100 AP's it can be very bulky. I would actually suggest finding the commands that you need in particular and just run those.

Also, on the IOS AP's, we support for TACACS+ logins, the controller product line is not currently supporting this, but the 4.1 code that is scheduled to be released next year will.

Any other questions just reply to the post and I'll do my best to answer them.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

>>>I would actually suggest finding the commands that you need in particular and just run those.<<<

For the controller, is there any SSH access documentation and a command reference of what is available that's different from ISO commands would be appreciated.

Mainly I'm looking for commands that will allow display of Processor board ID, EEPROM info, firmware version, and commands such as "copy flash/nvram/etc:filename.dat tftp:", etc.

I'm also looking for any SNMP trap related info such as:

"*.trap", "*.def.trap", "SNMP_*.tln", "*cat.tln", "*log.tln", "*.ini", etc.

FWIW

Do you have links to documentation explaining the actual commands that do work with the controllers?

In particular Cisco 2000 & 4400 Series WLC.

Also, what about for the ASA5500 Series?

Walt

Views
Helpful
Replies